Thread: Is my qualification exempt from assessment?

Red face Is my qualification exempt from assessment?

Hi all,

I'm about to apply for SMC and currently reviewing all my stuff. I'm not sure if my qualification is exempt from assessment.

Mine is MSc awarded in 2016 by University College London. Which on the list should be:

University of London

BA, LLB, BS, MA, MP, and MS: 1982–2007

BDS, MD, BVM and PhD: 1982

BE, ME and BMus: 1991

MR: 2000–2007

The operational mannual says 'A qualification is exempt from assessment and qualifies for the indicated points if: d. the qualification was awarded from or within the year range listed in the right-hand column in the Awarding Institutions Table'

I'm quite confused by 'from or within the year range'. 2016 is definitely not within the year range 1982-2007 but is from the range(?)

Do I need to apply for IQA?

Thank you!

"From or within the year range" is an awkward way of expressing that the award of the degree has to be in a year that is actually mentioned (so, in your case, it would need to say 2016), or else that year has to be within a time-span given (for instance, for yours, e.g. 2012 - 2017).

So no, your degree is not exempt from assessment, and you need to get an IQA. (Don't be tempted by PAR - it's a waste of time and money because it's really nothing better than guesswork from what the title sounds like, and a full assessment is necessary later in any case.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    "From or within the year range" is an awkward way of expressing that the award of the degree has to be in a year that is actually mentioned (so, in your case, it would need to say 2016), or else that year has to be within a time-span given (for instance, for yours, e.g. 2012 - 2017).

So no, your degree is not exempt from assessment, and you need to get an IQA. (Don't be tempted by PAR - it's a waste of time and money because it's really nothing better than guesswork from what the title sounds like, and a full assessment is necessary later in any case.)
    Thank you JandM. Your respond is truly helpful!!