Thread: Partner work visa after SMC application?

Question Partner work visa after SMC application?

I recently applied for an SMC but with little hope of an outcome until after 12 months (as i was told over the phone) i feel like i need to somehow do something about it in case situations change over the year or if i potentially want to switch employers

just sharing a bit of a backstory:

may 2018 - came here to work in Auckland on a working holiday, got an ESV for same employer august 2018.

november 2018 - started dating this Kiwi bloke, our setup at the beginning of the relationship is i stay with him 2.5 days in a week as he lives 15mins away from my place (not sure if that counts for something.)

he became a homeowner earlier this year and if we move in soon can i apply for a partner of a NZer work visa if i wanted to change employers or just a security blanket of sorts? Is this a feasible option for me and if so, how soon after moving in can i do it?

thank you!

See here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...lders#criteria As you'll see, no time is mentioned in the instructions, but we know from experience that INZ take applications seriously with 2 - 3 months' good evidence of partnership. See these old threads https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5 for discussions of evidence, and examples of what other people have used.

thanks again for being patient @JandM. i take it that changing ESV --> partner visa isnt going to jeopardise my SMC as long as i stay in the same ANZSCO as what i've had, and that there are no gaps in between employment?

also last question: i see rental/mortgage agreements on the "requirements" but none of these apply to me since he isn't charging me rent for living w/ him, although we will share other bills like utilities, food, and internet.. would you know if is that an acceptable "living together" proof inlieu of agreements?

thanks so much again!
    Last edited by charcharbinks; 24th July 2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo

What temporary visa you are on won't make any difference to your application under SMC, if you met the requirements for residence before, and that's the only thing that changes.

Incidentally, if you had any doubts about staying in the same job, or difficulty in proving any of the requirements for residence under SMC, if you once get your partner-sponsored work visa, you could switch your route to getting partner-sponsored residence after 12 months living together, which *only* requires continued evidence of partnership.

Here is the actual regulation about partnership evidence. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#30880.htm As you can see, it's a list of SUGGESTIONS, none of which is an absolute requirement. INZ recognize that couples' situations vary enormously. It's up to you to provide a range of evidence of what applies to you. Have a look at those old threads for inspiration.
    Evidence about whether the partnership is genuine and stable may include but is not limited to documents and any other information such as:

a marriage certificate for the parties;
    a civil union certificate for the parties;
    birth certificates of any children of the parties;
    evidence of communication between the parties;
    photographs of the parties together;
    documents indicating public recognition of the partnership;
    evidence of the parties being committed to each other both emotionally and exclusively such as evidence of:
    joint decision making and plans together
    sharing of parental obligations
    sharing of household activities
    sharing of companionship/spare time
    sharing of leisure and social activities
    presentation by the parties to outsiders as a couple.
    evidence of being financially interdependent such as evidence of
    shared income
    joint bank accounts operated reasonably frequently over a reasonable time
    joint assets
    joint liabilities such as loans or credit to purchase real estate, cars, major home appliances
    joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, water, telephone)
    mutually agreed financial arrangements.
    The presence or absence of any of the documents, information or evidence listed above is not determinative. Each case will be decided on the basis of all the evidence provided. Evidence about these matters may also be obtained at interview and can be considered up until the date of final decision.

@JandM That answers my question.. thanks so so much!!!