Thread: Clarification needed on 24 months travel conditions on NZ Resident Visa

Default Clarification needed on 24 months travel conditions on NZ Resident Visa

Hi,
    My name is Venkata. I have a doubt and need clarification regarding 24 months travel conditions on the Resident Visa issued. We are a family of three and we got the Resident Visa in 2016. Below are few dates which are important to clarify my query:

Resident Visa Start Date: 15/Nov/2016
    All 3 of us made the First Entry on: 28/Sep/2017

Travel Condition(s): Visa valid for further travel of 24 month(s) from first arrival. Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission. Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions. Please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires.

Now, my query is as below:

Our family is winding up everything here and completely shifting to Auckland on Sep 12th, 2019. We have confirmed tickets on Sep 11th and we will land in Auckland on Sep 12th Night 10:30. In the last minute, I have got a weird doubt i.e., How 24 month(s) from first arrival gets calculated and what is our last date to enter NZ before travel conditions expire?

1) As we made first entry on 28/Sep/2017, do we have travel conditions valid upto 28/Sep/2019? (or)
    2) Does Sep 2017 will get calculated as one month and should we be present in NZ by Aug 31st?

I searched on INZ website and it was just saying 2 years (or) 24 months from first arrival. I didn't find any good example there.

Request you to please clarify. Thank you.

Thanks and Regards,
    Venkata

It is calculated to the DAY, not the month.

Quote Originally Posted by sudha_sastry View Post
    Hi,
    My name is Venkata. I have a doubt and need clarification regarding 24 months travel conditions on the Resident Visa issued. We are a family of three and we got the Resident Visa in 2016. Below are few dates which are important to clarify my query:

Resident Visa Start Date: 15/Nov/2016
    All 3 of us made the First Entry on: 28/Sep/2017

Travel Condition(s): Visa valid for further travel of 24 month(s) from first arrival. Initial stay subject to grant of entry permission. Visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions. Please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires.

Now, my query is as below:

Our family is winding up everything here and completely shifting to Auckland on Sep 12th, 2019. We have confirmed tickets on Sep 11th and we will land in Auckland on Sep 12th Night 10:30. In the last minute, I have got a weird doubt i.e., How 24 month(s) from first arrival gets calculated and what is our last date to enter NZ before travel conditions expire?

1) As we made first entry on 28/Sep/2017, do we have travel conditions valid upto 28/Sep/2019? (or)
    2) Does Sep 2017 will get calculated as one month and should we be present in NZ by Aug 31st?

I searched on INZ website and it was just saying 2 years (or) 24 months from first arrival. I didn't find any good example there.

Request you to please clarify. Thank you.

Thanks and Regards,
    Venkata
    I think as per visa granted on 15 nov 2016 the last date would be 15 nov 2018 as per my knowledge rest jandM can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. k View Post
    I think as per visa granted on 15 nov 2016 the last date would be 15 nov 2018 as per my knowledge rest jandM can tell.
    See JandM's reply above- but no.., as it says in the condition, it is the date of the first entry that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It is calculated to the DAY, not the month.
    Thank you for the reply, JandM. So, to sum it up, as we have made the first entry on 28/Sep/2017, our travel conditions are valid up to 28/Sep/2019. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks and Regards,
    Sastry

I wouldn't like to swear to it between the 27th or the 28th, exactly when they would consider that the 24 months finish, but it'll be one of those. It shouldn't matter for you if you're landing on 12th, anyway.

Though this doesn't apply to you, I'll say it again for the sake of others perhaps reading this later - I have posted several times before about leaving some leeway before the final date for arrival, because anyone arriving after their travel conditions run out, even by 10 minutes, will not be allowed entry, even if the reason is something completely beyond their control, such as bad weather conditions or an aeroplane mechanical problem.