Thread: Backdate forumla to apply for NZ Citizenship

Default Backdate forumla to apply for NZ Citizenship

Kia Ora everyone!

I am hoping you can help me as I am having issues with applying a back date formula. i need to know when is the earliest date I can apply for NZ Citizenship.

1. Granted residency 18th April 2016

2. Granted Permanent Residency Oct 2018

I have been out of NZ for 2 months in total from 2016 till present.

What is the earliest day I can apply? My 5 years seems to complete on 18th April 2021.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

RS

Quote Originally Posted by ravi1414 View Post
    Kia Ora everyone!

I am hoping you can help me as I am having issues with applying a back date formula. i need to know when is the earliest date I can apply for NZ Citizenship.

What is the earliest day I can apply? My 5 years seems to complete on 18th April 2021.

RS
    Why don't you ring the department of internal affairs, they'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by ravi1414 View Post
    Kia Ora everyone!

RS
    According to Section 8(2) of the New Zealand Citizenship Act 1977, the requirements pertaining to presence in New Zealand are as follows: a minimum of 1,350 days during the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the application (being days during which you are entitled in terms of the Immigration Act 2009 to be in New Zealand indefinitely), and at least 240 days in each of those 5 years.

You have been entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely from April 18th, 2016, being the date that your Residence Visa was granted. Assuming that you spend no significant time out of the country, you will meet the presence requirements no earlier than December 14th, 2020. Keep in mind however that time spent out of the country from April 18th, 2020 will push the date that you will meet the presence requirements further out; this will correspond to the time you spend out of the country (e.g. if you spend 10 days out of the country from April 18th, 2020, the date that you will meet the presence requirements will be pushed out 10 days, to December 24th, 2020).