Thread: Citizenship question: When can I apply?

Default Citizenship question: When can I apply?

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has already been asked frequently, however, I could not see/understand how the following works.

I have gained my Resident Visa on 10 FEB 2017, and have never been outside of the country for more than 4 weeks within 12 months. Which would be the earliest for me to apply for citizenship?

Do I have to wait until 10 FEB 2022 (the full 5 years), or can I apply 240 days after 10 FEB 2021 meeting the residency requirement, putting me to 07 OCT 2021 (considering I would not leave after 10 FEB 2021, otherwise the date would be pushed out further)?

Any help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

You can submit an application only after you have met the five year requirement for presence in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by sbranca View Post
    You can submit an application only after you have met the five year requirement for presence in the country.
    so that would be 10 FEB 2022, exactly 5 years after my Resident Visa was granted?

When did you actually arrive in NZ? You must have been here for a certain number of days out of the past five years to qualify. Check the NZ Citizenship site for the formula for calculating that. They have a record of the day you arrived from customs records so it’s 5 years after that. There may also be some fine print that I don’t know about. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sbranca View Post
    When did you actually arrive in NZ? You must have been here for a certain number of days out of the past five years to qualify. Check the NZ Citizenship site for the formula for calculating that. They have a record of the day you arrived from customs records so it’s 5 years after that. There may also be some fine print that I don’t know about. Good luck.
    My Resident Visa was granted while I was on-shore on a working holiday visa. I looked into the fine print, that is why I am confused. As I understand the info prrovided is that I could apply 240 days after my 4th year as a Resident, meaning in October 2021 (before the actual 5 years would be reached).

I found the people at the Citizenship office to be very helpful. Give them a call. Best to go right to the horse’s mouth.

For anyone who has problem figuring out about when to apply for Citizenship.

The main information about when you maybe eligible if you are applying prior to completing full 5 years is in the last paragraph.

Email reply from Citizenship office.

"The requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship are that the applicant:
    *Intends, if granted New Zealand
    Citizenship, to continue to reside in New
    Zealand
    *Is able to understand and speak English
    *Is of good character
    *Understands the responsibilities and
    privileges of New Zealand Citizenship
    *Are a New Zealand resident and;
    Has been in New Zealand with resident
    status for eight months or more in each
    of the past five years
    *Has been out of the country for less
    than 475 days in total over the last five
    years

If you did not travel in your first year of gaining residency and do not intend to travel in your fifth year then you may be eligible to apply once you have met the 240 days in that year and meet all the requirements above. "