Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Journey Towards NZ Citizenship Timeline

Default My Journey Towards NZ Citizenship Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share on my recent application for NZ Citizenship timeline. On 28 June 2019, I rang Department of Internal Affairs(DIA) hotline to request for an appointment but instead been offered to submit the NZ Citizenship by using online trial application. DIA office send an invitation online trial link by e-mail and I submitted the citizenship application online on 3 July 2019.

Received phone call from DIA case officer on 11 July 2019 to verify about my application and was book for an appointment on 16 July 2019 to bring the required original documents and one passport photo at DIA Auckland office. Went to DIA Office, staff took my original document and passport photo for scanning and return all back to me including passport photo after scanning.

Received approval letter by mail on 9 August 2019 and now awaiting for ceremony letter.

I am really impress with DIA on how efficient and smooth application submitted by using the NZ Citizenship online trial.

Arrived NZ - Feb 2011 (Work Visa)
    Resident Visa - Oct 2014
    PR Visa - Oct 2016
    Submit NZ Citizenship - July 2019
    Approval NZ Citizenship - August 2019
    Ceremony NZ Citizenship - ????(Waiting )

Congratulations!

Congratulations !!!

I thought that we can apply only after 5 years from the date of Residence Visa is issued, Oct 2019 in your case.

Can we apply after 4 years & 8 months, if we stay 8 months in the 5th year like the first 4 years?

Could you please advise how they calculate the 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by cijoc View Post
    Congratulations !!!

I thought that we can apply only after 5 years from the date of Residence Visa is issued, Oct 2019 in your case.

Can we apply after 4 years & 8 months, if we stay 8 months in the 5th year like the first 4 years?

Could you please advise how they calculate the 5 years?
    As per Section 8(2)(b) of the Citizenship Act 1977, the presence requirements are the applicant was present in New Zealand:

• for a minimum of 1 350 days during the 5 years immediately preceding the date of the application; and
    • for at least 240 days in each of those 5 years,—

being days during which the applicant was entitled in terms of the Immigration Act 2009 to be in New Zealand indefinitely.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 13th August 2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: link added

For anyone who has problem figuring out about when to apply for Citizenship.

The main information about when you maybe eligible if you are applying prior to completing full 5 years is in the last paragraph.

Email reply from Citizenship office.

"The requirements for a Grant of New Zealand Citizenship are that the applicant:
    *Intends, if granted New Zealand
    Citizenship, to continue to reside in New
    Zealand
    *Is able to understand and speak English
    *Is of good character
    *Understands the responsibilities and
    privileges of New Zealand Citizenship
    *Are a New Zealand resident and;
    Has been in New Zealand with resident
    status for eight months or more in each
    of the past five years
    *Has been out of the country for less
    than 475 days in total over the last five
    years

If you did not travel in your first year of gaining residency and do not intend to travel in your fifth year then you may be eligible to apply once you have met the 240 days in that year and meet all the requirements above. "

Shouldn’t it be “if you did not travel for more than 125 days in the first year”?

Quote Originally Posted by asshaziq View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I would like to share on my recent application for NZ Citizenship timeline. On 28 June 2019, I rang Department of Internal Affairs(DIA) hotline to request for an appointment but instead been offered to submit the NZ Citizenship by using online trial application. DIA office send an invitation online trial link by e-mail and I submitted the citizenship application online on 3 July 2019.

Received phone call from DIA case officer on 11 July 2019 to verify about my application and was book for an appointment on 16 July 2019 to bring the required original documents and one passport photo at DIA Auckland office. Went to DIA Office, staff took my original document and passport photo for scanning and return all back to me including passport photo after scanning.

Received approval letter by mail on 9 August 2019 and now awaiting for ceremony letter.

I am really impress with DIA on how efficient and smooth application submitted by using the NZ Citizenship online trial.

Arrived NZ - Feb 2011 (Work Visa)
    Resident Visa - Oct 2014
    PR Visa - Oct 2016
    Submit NZ Citizenship - July 2019
    Approval NZ Citizenship - August 2019
    Ceremony NZ Citizenship - ????(Waiting )

OMG!!!! Congratulations

I can't wait to be eligible!!!

WOOW !!
    Congratulations asshaziq

Now officially a kiwi aye?

This is my guess.

As you know, to apply for Citizenship you should meet the presence requirements of complete 5 years . However, as you will be applying after completing 240 days in the fifth year, you would not be meeting the requirement.

To correct this timeframe, I reckon the citizenship office adjust the remaining 125 days of the fifth year to the first year of residency. Maybe that is the reason, you maybe eligible to apply for Citizenship after completing 240 days in the fifth year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    Shouldn’t it be “if you did not travel for more than 125 days in the first year”?
    This is my guess.

As you know, to apply for Citizenship you should meet the presence requirements of complete 5 years . However, as you will be applying after completing 240 days in the fifth year, you would not be meeting the requirement.

To correct this timeframe, I reckon the citizenship office adjust the remaining 125 days of the fifth year to the first year of residency. Maybe that is the reason, you maybe eligible to apply for Citizenship after completing 240 days in the fifth year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast