Thread: Arrhythmia / cardiology - medical exam

Default Arrhythmia / cardiology - medical exam

I am going to be applying for a Talent (Accredited Employer) visa in the next few months and the medical exam is worrying me a little.

To cut a long story short I have been having really short periods of palpitations around once a week since I was 11 years old, I'm now 30. I have been under an outpatient cardiology department for the past 6 years but have just discharged myself because I feel these symptoms are manageable and I don't want to take medication. The cardiologist said I have an arrhythmia (atrial tachycardia) but have not been able to find out where this is starting. They have tried 2 EP studies and an ablation, and my symptoms have persisted. They do not cause me any issues and do not affect my daily life. I have numerous outpatient letters stating that my condition is 'not dangerous', there is 'no evidence of cardiac failure' and my discharge letter states that I do 'not need/warrant/want further treatment'.

I'm just wondering of anyone else has any experience with this condition (I've heard it's quite common) and how this will impact on getting a visa? I have wanted to emigrate for over 10 years and now the time has come I'm panicking this may stand in my way. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

First of all, panic isn’t a good idea for someone who has heart palpitations. Relax, or try to. Second, the immigration process can be a long slog and it will help to keep a clear head. Third, the medical is only one part of the process. I don’t have a condition like yours (I have others) so I can’t comment on that specifically. But your ‘not dangerous’ cardiac condition is only part of your overall health. You’re young which is the most important thing. Get the physical, Submit the letters you mention with it, and all the other requirements and hope for the best. In the meantime you may want to be up front about it and see if there is someone at immigration who can advise you. And don’t panic. Please.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I may send them a quick email although I'm sure the reply will be 'apply and we will assess it'
    I know with regards to my particular condition most people have it a lot worse than me with symptoms lasting hours or days, whereas mine last seconds. I am lead to believe that immigration tend to have more issue with people with 'plumbing' heart problems that require surgery than 'electrics', which is good news.