Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: partnership based work visa timeline

Default partnership based work visa timeline

hi everyone, just wondering if anyone's going through the process of applying for Partnership work visa and what is your progress/timeline?
    I applied early May19 but my application is still in the queue. I call every once in a while but no one told me if there's anything is missing that hold up the application. Did this happen to anyone?
    I also applied for partnership based Residence visa at the same time but no hope for it to be allocated any time soon.
    Seems like a really long time and I've already got approved for a 2yr partnership work visa previously (only took 5 weeks for visa approval), which will run out end of Oct19.
    I applied online so have been uploading additional documents/evidence every month since in hope that it'll somehow help.
    Being in the dark is really starting to get to me...so frustrating...

I applied mine last July 8,2019 and it was approved August 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn_2019 View Post
    really quick

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn_2019 View Post
    Congratulations, can I know where it was processed?

If you have an application in progress, no need to worry, 1 week before your visa expires you will be issued an interim visa on your current visas conditions while it is processed. I know its frustrating but it will happen in time...

One thing i saw however was something about a max of 24 months on a partnership work visa... cant remember if that was legit or not though....

Here is the regulation about the duration of partner-sponsored temporary work visas. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#45665.htm So NORMALLY, 24 months is the longest time a person would spend on this kind of visa, and if the couple are still together, the expectation is that they would apply for partner-sponsored residence after that. But with the INZ backlogs, nothing IS normal at the moment, so don't worry - there are queues, and everything is moving very slowly for most people - and we've seen before that when INZ is a victim of its own delays, they tweak the rules. Someone before you whose residence wasn't going to get processed in time WAS granted a further partner-sponsored work visa, although it wouldn't be done except because they decided to.

You've already done the right thing by applying for the further temporary visa, which will mean that INZ would issue you an interim visa to keep you legal, in case neither visa you've applied for is granted when your present one runs out. One thing about the interim visa, if it comes to that - INZ does this by the right day, but the notification often doesn't reach the person until days or weeks afterwards, so if you haven't heard anything, that is normal and nothing to worry about. As the temporary visa you've applied for is the same as the one you already hold, the conditions will be the same as on your present work visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...isa-conditions

It occurs to me that your application for residence should be a really straightforward one, as you are a known and accepted partnership, so just possibly INZ aren't worried about starting the processing this far ahead. They may surprise you and grant residence after hardly any contact just before your present visa expires. (This is another pattern we've seen in the past with other people.)

my partner's visa took 3 weeks.

I submitted my application online

Quote Originally Posted by hznry View Post
    hi everyone, just wondering if anyone's going through the process of applying for Partnership work visa and what is your progress/timeline?
    I applied early May19 but my application is still in the queue. I call every once in a while but no one told me if there's anything is missing that hold up the application. Did this happen to anyone?
    I also applied for partnership based Residence visa at the same time but no hope for it to be allocated any time soon.
    Seems like a really long time and I've already got approved for a 2yr partnership work visa previously (only took 5 weeks for visa approval), which will run out end of Oct19.
    I applied online so have been uploading additional documents/evidence every month since in hope that it'll somehow help.
    Being in the dark is really starting to get to me...so frustrating...
    Any updates on your extended partnership work visa? I've yet to apply for my extended partnership work visa (I also already have had one for 2 years) as I'm waiting to see if my partnership residency gets any movement before I apply. My partner and I are also going away on holiday for 4 weeks at the beginning of December so I don't want to apply for a work visa and be granted the interim visa while abroad because that would mean I wouldn't be allowed back into NZ (current work visa expires beginning of February and we arrive back into less than 4 weeks before the expiry) so going to have to wait until the last possible minute to apply.

Just wish they would update us on other partnership categories - not just the visitor visas from Mumbai.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah219 View Post
    Any updates on your extended partnership work visa? I've yet to apply for my extended partnership work visa (I also already have had one for 2 years) as I'm waiting to see if my partnership residency gets any movement before I apply. My partner and I are also going away on holiday for 4 weeks at the beginning of December so I don't want to apply for a work visa and be granted the interim visa while abroad because that would mean I wouldn't be allowed back into NZ (current work visa expires beginning of February and we arrive back into less than 4 weeks before the expiry) so going to have to wait until the last possible minute to apply.

Just wish they would update us on other partnership categories - not just the visitor visas from Mumbai.
    So long as you return to NZ before your current Work Visa expires, you're fine.

Interim visas only start on the day after your current temporary visa expires (see I1.15 for the currency of interim visas), so it will never come into force before your current Work Visa expires. Besides, as per I.15(a), it will only be granted if you're onshore.

My own experience with interim visas is that INZ will only grant them if they believe that your current temporary visa will expire before a decision is made on your further temporary visa. In my case, I was granted (and my LIA immediately notified) an interim visa exactly 7 days before my temporary visa was due to expire (and then, the interim visa never took effect as my further temporary visa was granted 3 days later!).
    Last edited by Kelerei; 11th September 2019 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast