Thread: Indications- A ballot system or change in PR conditions

Default Indications- A ballot system or change in PR conditions

Hi all,

If you note the last two para of this article, it indicates that something cynical is going on, as rightly emphasized by Erin Goodhue by JandM in this forum.
    a) Possibility of ballot system similar to H1B visa in USA. He might have received some indication on it.
    b) Changes to rules on when a resident becomes permanent resident. This is something we all are expecting.

I would presume if it comes (a) may not still apply to people like us who already applied.

Full article here:
    https://rnz.co.nz/news/national/3973...aits-for-visas

Thanks Erin Goodhue for your inputs and taking this matter to media. Best wishes for your's and your baby's health.

Quote Originally Posted by VedSaumya View Post

b) Changes to rules on when a resident becomes permanent resident. This is something we all are expecting.
    Where have you heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by la_skydiver View Post
    Where have you heard this?
    It's hearsay, nothing solid. But you'd be wrong if you thought that the current government isn't going to prevent as many people from becoming residents as they can. The FIRST thing that will change will be some "almost impossible" criteria will be added. What concerns me more is that they're actually considering a ballot-based system for residency. That alone should tell people to start making other plans.

A) Someone is quoted saying it is possible - anything is possible. If they are currently clearly prioritising certain types of applications, it seems unlikely to me they will go with a ballot system.
    B) I don’t think the article describes this quite right, what it is aiming at is that NZ will continue to want temporary workers but less people who stay permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    A) Someone is quoted saying it is possible - anything is possible. If they are currently clearly prioritising certain types of applications, it seems unlikely to me they will go with a ballot system.
    B) I don’t think the article describes this quite right, what it is aiming at is that NZ will continue to want temporary workers but less people who stay permanently.
    Like Australia have done. They abolished the 457 skilled visa and the replacement means unless you are in their version of the absolute skills shortage list you get a maximum of 4 years then you have to leave, with no option to extend. Only alternative is to go up to the northern Territory to get regional sponsorship.

It will be interesting to see how they go in the next few years with the lowered migration numbers, I can't see many skilled people making the move over there with no pathway to residency and if they lack of skilled workers will have a knock on. They are already adding some jobs in to the longer term shortage list so they may end up managing it by having to constantly update the skills lists.

The 457 Long stay visa works exactly the same as the current Essential Skills Visa with a set period which also allows you to re-apply at the end of the period.

Many businesses both accredited and non-accredited bring in employees on the Essential Skills Visa with the aim to grant those employees a pathway to residency.

New Zealand will not close the pathway to residency for Skilled Migrants because that would cause catastrophic risks to businesses who rely on highly skilled employees, who now face having to leave the country.

Worst case scenario; they up the points required to an even higher number or cut the essential skills list further. Or both.

This won't, however, affect people already in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by BoerieNZ View Post
    The 457 Long stay visa works exactly the same as the current Essential Skills Visa with a set period which also allows you to re-apply at the end of the period.
    Got aren't wrong but they have abolished the 457 and replaced it with the 482 that had two classes. Those on the short and medium term shortage list get 2 years with an option to add 2 more years and residency options. Those on the long term list is pretty much the same as the old 457.

To your point B: "Changes to rules on when a resident becomes permanent resident. This is something we all are expecting."

Their quote: "The Association for Migration and Investment said the government seemed happy to have skill shortages filled by temporary workers, but more changes might be looming to how people become permanent residents."

I don't think they were talking about PR – the media always get their language mixed up when referring to Residency and Permanent Residency. The "changes looming" will most likely affect residency... If they're even happening.