Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: News article about SMC processing

Quote Originally Posted by desilva View Post
    Yep I know and I gave smile of sarcasm as my own application is stuck in limbo too. stay strong everyone. we will get out of it sooner or later
    haha, it could be genuine poor planning by inz causing a massive backlog and Mr Peter tap on that

Quote Originally Posted by ysc5 View Post
    haha, it could be genuine poor planning by inz causing a massive backlog and Mr Peter tap on that
    He's a politician... what else did you expect?

Maybe the "hiccup" with Immigration is much bigger than we can imagine?

https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1016...-system-facing

It looks like they really drop the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankgo View Post
    Maybe the "hiccup" with Immigration is much bigger than we can imagine?

https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1016...-system-facing

It looks like they really drop the ball.
    I'd be interested to know why you say 'drop the ball'? According to this article there are reasons behind why some applications might be looked at more closely. And yes, less residence visas have been issued, but more work visas instead. Every country that is attractive to migrants will adjust numbers as they seem fit.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I'd be interested to know why you say 'drop the ball'? According to this article there are reasons behind why some applications might be looked at more closely. And yes, less residence visas have been issued, but more work visas instead. Every country that is attractive to migrants will adjust numbers as they seem fit.
    Sorry, my line of thought was taking into account not only this article, but also all the other articles that had come up during the last few months.

Sometimes articles say that the restructuring while moving the branches abroad to NZ went wrong. Some others say that they are trying to make immigration meet New Zealand needs. Sometimes they say they are just trying keep Immigration numbers down according to the promises during the campaign and finally they say that there is a lot of fraud going on and they have to be more precise.

During this time, INZ hasn't made any formal statement at all of what is really going on with the delays, they only have commented on information leaked by third parties.

That (at least for me) sounds like they are trying to gain political advantage of something that it wasn't intentional, because the bottom line is that all those "reasons" end up with the same exact same consequence, i.e. delayed processing of SMC visas, delayed processing of Partnership visas, delayed processing of the Student Visas, delayed processing of Visitor visas and delayed processing of Essential Skills visas.

If you touch your head with your finger and it hurts, you touch your foot with the same finger and it hurts and then you touch your cheek with your finger and it hurts, I am sorry to tell you that you've broken your finger.

I don't t think that INZ would be the ones trying to make political gain out of the situation..., they are a government agency and basically do what they are told with the means that are available to them. The only 'they' that, in my opinion, gets anything out of that situation would be the parties that support or direct them.

Quote Originally Posted by VedSaumya View Post
    Hi,

After reading your long long arguments which more favors the not so transparent approach used by immigration in processing SMC application, I thought I would write my thoughts too.

The LOI that I received says that "The fees and immigration instructions effective at the time you lodge your application will apply". The requirement was to apply within four months which I have done, hence the application once lodged is expected to be evaluated (whenever that be) on the basis of immigration law effective on date of lodgement. There is no dispute on that.

In terms of priority processing, Article 16.1 provides for order and processing and states that immigration officers can evaluate according to the urgency to the processing of any particular residence class visa application when the individual circumstances so warrant that. This is the discretion they can use and they have provided opportunity to applicants to apply for priority processing. Else, they are not supposed to cherry pick.

Payment of tax is not a factor to determine who needs to be prioritized. And the internal criteria that INZ has set (salary 90K or registered profession etc.) are not covered by operation manual. That's why we are saying that this is arbitrary. Everyone who applied have met the criteria- 160 points and NZ median salary. Hence, immigration needs to make their selection criteria transparent through their operation manual. The law requires application to be processed on orderly and consistent manner and immigration officer are required to act with fairness and natural justice.

Thanks.
    VedSaumya I think you expressed exactly what I feel is wrong with the situation. This is a government agency with an operations manual, so they can't just fly by the seat of their pants and set their own criteria. While they have some discretion to prioritize applications based on circumstances, because being completely inflexible would be inhumane in special situations - this queue-jumping seems to be a regular, systemic practice that has never been announced or added to the ops manual. We wouldn't know if Erin hadn't specifically tried to find out why INZ wasn't operating the way she remembered as an employee (and former editor of the ops manual, if I recall correctly).

There have been many metaphors posed, such as - if INZ operated like a business, or if INZ operated like somebody renting out a property. INZ is not a business, so we can't expect it to react as if customer service mattered - we can only expect them to react as though they are accountable to the relevant ministry, and we don't know exactly what the ministry is telling them to do.

We can't expect them to act like a landlord either - at least a landlord doesn't charge thousands of dollars to consider an application, or take many months to decide, lol!

It will be interesting to see if press coverage builds momentum for this question, or dies out. I am lucky enough to be able to wait onshore with plenty of time (irritating though it is to not be able to buy a house in the meantime), but if others are in more urgent situations, your stories might be of value to sway public opinion a bit. Perspectives from frustrated employers could be a more persuasive angle for many Kiwis - attracting and retaining talent is supposed to be a major point for this visa category, but long and possibly unfair processing times make it difficult for all involved.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345