Thread: ES Work Visa - Must enter before date

Default ES Work Visa - Must enter before date

Hi - just been approved for an Essential skills Work Visa. My wife’s partner application (submitted in a group application) hasn’t been assigned to a CO yet.

My visa has a ‘must enter before’ date which is three months away. We were planning on moving across, after our house is sold, in around 3-5 months.

Am I now stuffed and need to massively change my plans or can a I request a longer entry timeframe from INZ?

Thanks!

You can ASK, but others have found before you that only rarely will INZ change things for a work visa. If they won't, your Essential Skills visa is almost certainly a multiple entry visa (and if it isn't, you're entitled to ask for it to be given that condition), which would mean that you could make a trip before the 'last entry' date, and then go back to finish sorting out your house-sale, etc..

Thanks. Seems strange and very arbitrary! What about job notice periods that are three months long?

INZ are most concerned with the NZ job that has been offered to you, getting you to your NZ employer as soon as possible. Work visas don't ever have a long lead-time.

OK thanks. Just wish that information was available to me before I submitted the application! If they’d have taken the estimated 3 months to process the visa, that’d have been fine. Moving from UK to NZ is not insignificant and there’s lots to do before I move. 3 months is very tight.

I could, as you suggest, fly across and fly straight back. But that’ll cost a fortune. And, if I can do that, what’s the point of the first arrival date anyway!?

Please also make sure that you have an actual plan to gain residence, if that's your plan. Unless you want to move back to the UK once your essential skills visa expires.

Quote Originally Posted by BoerieNZ View Post
    Please also make sure that you have an actual plan to gain residence, if that's your plan. Unless you want to move back to the UK once your essential skills visa expires.
    Yup - will be switching to the LTSS visa once I arrive and have achieved Chartered IT Professional NZ status. That makes my existing Level 6 qualification, which wouldn’t meet the qualification requirements at this stage, relevant and suitable.