Thread: Still worth applying for SMC aftre recent events ?

Default Still worth applying for SMC aftre recent events ?

Hi All,
    After a lot of planning, cost and lots more grey hairs, my wife and I are settled in Canterbury and my job is going well. I managed to get a Work visa really quickly, mainly due to E Goodhue's help.

We were hoping to apply for residency back in late July, but had to put it off, and since that decision it seems there has been a lot of discussion about the SMC process.

It is going to cost us a fair amount to apply, and I was just testing the water to see how anyone in a similar situation is feeling ?

I feel it is possible for us to loose all our money, now there is a limit on the numbers ? Or maybe it's going to take a very long time, if not. Due to our age - 53 at the moment, we do need to get a move in with this.

Or are we better off carrying on with our work visa and gaining residency a different way ?

Any thoughts gratefully received thanks everyone.

Regards Bob

What other way would you hope to gain residency by?

I’d say if you meet the requirements now, apply. It’s likely to only get harder in my opinion. And if you meet the requirements when you apply they will need to give you residency - whether it’s now or after significant delays of x months / years.

INZ haven't put a stop to applications under the Skilled Migrant Scheme, so you're entitled to have your application in the system now, when your situation (which includes your age) meets the present criteria. Even if the processing is long drawn out, the fact that you DID meet the requirements when you submitted the application is in your favour. Also in your favour is the fact that, if you need to apply for further work visas while waiting for your residence application to be processed, you don't have to prove no NZers are available to do the job, when it's YOUR job and you have an ITA issued on the basis of it. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66937.htm WK3.20.10.

Thanks for the replies - Nether 111- I was under the impression there were other ways to gain residency after being for a few years - but maybe not ?

Not unless you have a bucket of money or a kiwi partner as far as I’m aware.

Or if you mean work to residency - that’s cheaper if that’s an option at all.

My personal opinion: if the SMC door is still open to you, go through it. Immigration instructions do change over time, and you do not know if you may one day have no pathway to residence at all.

As per SM5.1(b), principal applicants aged 56 and over on the date their application is made must be declined under the Skilled Migrant Category -- and that's not when your EOI is selected, that's when you lodge the application after receiving your Invitation to Apply (after EOI selection). If you still intend to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category, you do indeed need to move quickly.

The other potential pathways for you would probably be the Residence from Work pathways; the most common that I've seen around here being Accredited Employer and Long Term Skills Shortage.

Bob, don’t wait! Get the SMC in before you are 56! We are cutting it close, too. If you can get residence before your work visa expires, you won’t need to reapply for the work visa & partner visa due to any overlap while waiting. We waited too long and had the additional expense of having to renew them and it was a lot of work and money. Cheers!

Thanks all - appreciate the advice, and we will get on with it soon !

Regards Bob