Thread: Things to ship to NZ

Default Things to ship to NZ

Hi guys,

We are moving to Dunedin from Singapore in a few months’ time. (Very excited to start this new journey, yet at the same time quite stressed out about the move). As we are planning for the move, I would appreciate your advice on the things that we should take with us. For example, would you recommend us to ship electronics such as washing machine, fridge, dishwasher and other electronic kitchen appliances? I heard electronics are expensive in NZ and choices are limited, too. Is there anything that may be worth shipping to save costs?

Thanks very much!

I don’t know what the electric power standard in Singapore is but if it’s compatible with NZ 220/240v bring your electrics. You may need a plug adaptor but those are cheap. Everything in NZ is expensive so my advice is to bring everything that you would reasonably expect to need.

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post
    Hi guys,

We are moving to Dunedin from Singapore in a few months’ time. (Very excited to start this new journey, yet at the same time quite stressed out about the move). As we are planning for the move, I would appreciate your advice on the things that we should take with us. For example, would you recommend us to ship electronics such as washing machine, fridge, dishwasher and other electronic kitchen appliances? I heard electronics are expensive in NZ and choices are limited, too. Is there anything that may be worth shipping to save costs?

Thanks very much!
    My first question is ... is yr shipping cost covered by yr company or self funded?

I don't agree that appliances are necessarily more expensive here esp. if you have to incl the cost of shipment.
    If you buy the appliances on Sale (eg. Black Friday, Boxing day etc.) ... you may get good bargains.

NZ-SG power are compatible but you will need to change the plug, you can get from Bunnings for $3-6. You will find many of yr handphone/computer charge incompatible plug and you can't change them ... hence buy a few SG extension cord (4 way) and change the plug to NZ, that way you can still use yr SG appliances with its plug. But for regular big items best to change to NZ plug for safety. PM me if you need clarification.

I believe your consideration is also that you already have the appliances in Spore and it would a waste to get rid of them and buy new ones in NZ. Personally I shipped only manageable and near new appliances (and change the plug) ... eg. LED TV(1yr old), coffee machine(1yr), rice cooker (1yr). Things I left behind - washer (bulky and contains water residue), fridge (7yrs old), printer, PC monitor etc. All these I think are priced comparable to Spore esp on sale.

p.s. I hope you have a good moving company. AVOID ASTRO MOVER.

Thanks very much guys!

Thanks much! IÂ’ve decided to leave behind the bulky old stuffs like washing machine and fridge (over 5 years old) and not to buy new replacements to ship to NZ because thereÂ’s no international warranty. I have a relocation package which includes an allowed volume of 18m3 shipment. I use Crowne. Not sure if this is a good mover?
    May I check with you if itÂ’s worth buying new furniture such as dining table set, bed frames and mattresses? Everything in NZ seems more expensive than Singapore !

Quote Originally Posted by aley View Post
    My first question is ... is yr shipping cost covered by yr company or self funded?

I don't agree that appliances are necessarily more expensive here esp. if you have to incl the cost of shipment.
    If you buy the appliances on Sale (eg. Black Friday, Boxing day etc.) ... you may get good bargains.

NZ-SG power are compatible but you will need to change the plug, you can get from Bunnings for $3-6. You will find many of yr handphone/computer charge incompatible plug and you can't change them ... hence buy a few SG extension cord (4 way) and change the plug to NZ, that way you can still use yr SG appliances with its plug. But for regular big items best to change to NZ plug for safety. PM me if you need clarification.

I believe your consideration is also that you already have the appliances in Spore and it would a waste to get rid of them and buy new ones in NZ. Personally I shipped only manageable and near new appliances (and change the plug) ... eg. LED TV(1yr old), coffee machine(1yr), rice cooker (1yr). Things I left behind - washer (bulky and contains water residue), fridge (7yrs old), printer, PC monitor etc. All these I think are priced comparable to Spore esp on sale.

p.s. I hope you have a good moving company. AVOID ASTRO MOVER.

If your moving costs are paid for, then you’re getting your furniture here free, so if you like your furniture and you weren’t already wanting to replace it, I don’t know why you would take the loss of selling there and buying new here.

Note that there is a very active market in used appliances in NZ. Numerous shops that sell good used stuff. And check out Trade Me to get an idea of prices. Much cheaper than new.

I recently got three quotes for moving from NZ to the US. Crowne was 50% more expensive than the other two. But that’s not comparable to your situation. If you are happy with what you are paying, then go with it. With any mover, check the fine print of their insurance carefully.

Good luck and safe travels.