Thread: Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa

Question Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa

Hello everyone,

I am in process of gathering documents and information for my wife visitor visa application. I have some confusion and would appreciate a lot if I could get some information regarding.

1. I have recently got residency not a permanent residency as I have to wait 1 and a half year for it. So my question is am I eligible to apply for Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa or Do I have to apply for a normal visitor visa?

2. We have been in a relationship for about 3 years now and I went and married her last December and immediately returned back as I had to start work again, so the issue is we have not been living together at all. But we do have a lot of chat, call log and video log from facebook and all the government document supporting out marriage? Would that be enough or it that going to be a problem.

3. We don't have a joint account or anything like that but I have send her some fund to support her living cost which I can prove through my bank transaction.

4. As i am supporting her for the visitor visa, do I have to provide any additional documents like my job contract or agreement, Tax record, Salary invoice, etc?

As you can see from my post, I am pretty much on the initial stage, so any other information or ideas would also be helpful.

Thank you very much,
    Have a wonderful day.

You have the right to support your wife's application.

Partner-sponsored visas are judged by INZ on evidence of having lived together, so without that element there is always a problem, even though a couple have married. Because there is awareness of the cultural differences involved, they have recently issued this directive. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...lationship.pdf As you see, you need to apply for a General Visitor Visa, but supply a cover letter explaining your situation, with all the background details which can be considered by their Partnership team. Here https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5 are old threads with discussions of partnership proof, lists of what other people have used, etc..

In terms of your own immigration status affecting your wife's application, you have no problem at all. One is able to obtain a Visitor or Work Visa based on partnership to a holder of a Resident Visa, Student Visa or Work Visa. Of course, you'll need to hold a Resident Visa or New Zealand citizenship for your wife to later apply for a Resident Visa under the Partnership Category, if this is indeed your endgame.

In terms of supporting evidence, and what INZ considers a genuine and stable relationship, V3.15 in the operational manual (detailing instructions for obtaining a Visitor Visa on the basis of being a partner of a New Zealand citizen or Resident Visa holder) should be your starting point.

Then, in terms of time apart since December -- I cannot give you any definite answer or advice, but I can share my own experiences:

I initially came to New Zealand on a "look, see, decide" trip, having been granted a Visitor Visa myself, and having had to leave my wife behind. Towards the end of that trip, I received a job offer, applied for and was granted a Work Visa, then my wife applied for (and was granted) a Work Visa of her own on the basis of being the partner of a Work Visa holder. We were eventually reunited after five months apart, and shortly thereafter applied for (and were granted) Resident Visas under the Skilled Migrant Category (I needed the job offer to meet the 160 point threshold).

When we applied for that Resident Visa, we submitted evidence of our partnership from meeting each other to when I left to establish our new life in New Zealand. This included our joint rental agreement, letters addressed to each other at the same address, and supporting letters from friends and family. Our case officer additionally requested evidence on how we sustained our relationship during those five months apart (I provided plenty of Skype logs) -- which seemed to satisfy her, as she recommended a decision and sent the application through to the second-person check less than a week later.

So, based on my experience, it stands to reason that you should provide evidence of your relationship from before the pair of you were forced by circumstance to separate (you will likely need to show that you lived together before this point), and evidence on how you've maintained your relationship since the pair of you have been apart.

If you can't provide the necessary partnership evidence at this stage, you can apply for a general Visitor Visa in order for the pair of you to accumulate the partnership evidence required. INZ has published a recent factsheet regarding this, which you should read carefully.

Once you have eventually accumulated enough evidence, your wife will be able to apply for a further Visitor Visa, Work Visa or Study Visa under partnership instructions -- and once the pair of you have spent sufficient time together, the option of a Resident Visa under the Partnership Category becomes available.

Hey jandm if inz says application is priority and asks to upload additional documents. How long do they normally take for a priority partnership visa application to be processed once they have generated application number in the mumbai office

Default Visa application

Hi JandM,

I see that you have told the OP to apply for a general visitor visa, but please read the link carefully. It says "If the intention to be in NZ is due to the relationship, applicants should apply for a partnership visa and, if it is established that partnership requirements are not met, a GVV can be considered".

Regards
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_patel View Post
    Hey jandm if inz says application is priority and asks to upload additional documents. How long do they normally take for a priority partnership visa application to be processed once they have generated application number in the mumbai office
    How long is a piece of string?

Every case is different, especially partnership-based ones as every partnership is unique. It depends on the strength of your partnership, the strength and manner of your supporting evidence, how easily the case officer is able to verify and validate your supporting evidence, and the case officer's workload arising from other cases that may be assigned to that person (and there's probably other factors as well that don't immediately come to mind). No-one, not even INZ themselves, will ever be able to give you a definite answer to that question.

Kia mihi. Kia kaha te reo maori.. they just asked to upload additional and said in next 3 weeks co will be allocated.. Inz is in shambels

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_patel View Post
    There is no "normal". Every case is individual, and the evidence is verified separately. It takes as long as it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by DownSouth View Post
    Hi JandM,

I see that you have told the OP to apply for a general visitor visa, but please read the link carefully. It says "If the intention to be in NZ is due to the relationship, applicants should apply for a partnership visa and, if it is established that partnership requirements are not met, a GVV can be considered".

Regards
    DS
    Oops, my mistaken too quick rereading. Sorry.