Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Registration

Default Teaching Registration

Hello people,

I am fraking out a little bit. Since I came to New Zealand a year ago I have been gathering all the documentes required for Inmigration/NZQA/Teaching Registration. Now, I finish my IQA and since NZQA and Inmigration do everything online, I have everything in digital format, not hard copies. In fact, my awards/diplomas are in Spain.

Now I want to start the process of the teaching registration but it says that you have to gather all the documents in hard copies and send that to Wellington... Is this some kind of joke? Everything has been online until now and I have to send hard original copies to Wellington? I spent thousands in translations and everything is digital...

I dont know what to do.

The NZ Teaching Council aren't part of the same organization as NZQA and INZ, so their requirements can be different.

I see it says here https://teachingcouncil.nz/content/overseas-teachers that they require certified copies of documents. I suggest, then, that you can ask someone in Spain to get your originals copied and certified, and send those certified copies to you by post, or send the originals for your to have copied and certified (NZ JPs don't charge for that service). Also, your translator can be asked to print off and sign the translations.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The NZ Teaching Council aren't part of the same organization as NZQA and INZ, so their requirements can be different.

I see it says here https://teachingcouncil.nz/content/overseas-teachers that they require certified copies of documents. I suggest, then, that you can ask someone in Spain to get your originals copied and certified, and send those certified copies to you by post, or send the originals for your to have copied and certified (NZ JPs don't charge for that service). Also, your translator can be asked to print off and sign the translations.
    What do they understand for 'certified' copies? If Inmigration and NZQA accepted the award/diplomas, what kind of certification do they need? I have everything already translated and sealed since I had to do it for NZQA.

Thank you JandM!

A certified copy is a photocopy of the original which has been inspected by whoever is entitled to perform this service in whichever country, usually a lawyer or professional of some kind, WITH the original, so they can then sign to say that the copy is a true copy (that is, with no changes or omissions from the original). Certified copies are often preferred by organizations because they then don't have the responsibility of looking after and returning important original evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    A certified copy is a photocopy of the original which has been inspected by whoever is entitled to perform this service in whichever country, usually a lawyer or professional of some kind, WITH the original, so they can then sign to say that the copy is a true copy (that is, with no changes or omissions from the original). Certified copies are often preferred by organizations because they then don't have the responsibility of looking after and returning important original evidence.
    Thank you JandM, I found a certified title of my master's degree diploma so I am thinking to send that with the whole bunch of papers. Do someone know if I can actually go to Wellington and give them the papers by hand? I don't like to use post.

You have been super helpful as always, thank you again. Btw, I got my Essentials Skills Visa renewed this morning. I am here another year

Quote Originally Posted by Kracius View Post
    Thank you JandM, I found a certified title of my master's degree diploma so I am thinking to send that with the whole bunch of papers. Do someone know if I can actually go to Wellington and give them the papers by hand? I don't like to use post.

You have been super helpful as always, thank you again. Btw, I got my Essentials Skills Visa renewed this morning. I am here another year
    Give them a call. They are really great to deal with. I remember dropping off my original papers and picking them up again 6 weeks later while I was on holiday in NZ, without any issues.

Thank you Kath,

I am requesting hard-certified-copies of all the translations. I can't wait to get my registration!

Thank you guys

Hello again guys,

Paperwork is going slow but constant. I would like to know your opinion about my current situation.

I am teacher of secondary school from Barcelona, so English is my second language. I already have gathered all the documents in hard-copies. However, one of the requisites is to provide evidence of meeting the Education Council's language policy. This is a minimum of 7 in each category of the IELTS exam (Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing). Some of you may know that many people struggle in the Writing category, getting stuck at 6.5.

I did the exam two times:
    - First time I got 7, 7, 7.5 in Speaking and 6.5 in Writing (Overall 7).
    - Second time 7, 7, 8 in Speaking and 6 in Writing (Overall 7 again).

So I have spent more than $4000 dollars in english academy, personal tutor and exams ($400 dollars each attempt) and I am concerned about what I should do next. Some people are trying to encourage me to send all the documents anyway to the teaching council since I have many recommendation letters and a master's degree. At the moment, I would like to start teaching Spanish and, if my English improves, I would teach Social Studies.

So again, I would like to know your opinion. If there is someone here with a bit of experience with the teaching council or something... Because I feel quite stuck. I had a break of 3 months after the last exam and now I'm going to start to study again, but is just so damn annoying to not be able to teach just because of that 0.5.

Thank you
    Last edited by Kracius; 19th October 2019 at 07:51 PM.

Is there anybody out there who can comment from experience? I don't remember that this matter has ever been raised on the forum.

Have you considered talking/writing directly to the NZ Teaching Council to ask for advice?

Or, since the IELTS written exam persistently trips you up for that last 0.5 of a mark, in case it something about the format set by that particular authority, have you thought about trying one of the other approved English proficiency tests? https://teachingcouncil.nz/content/l...y-requirements

Hello JandM!

Sorry for the late response. I already asked them, they said that If i show enough evidence of my proficiency in written English they may be able to consider it. On the other hand, I am already preparing another exam called PTE which is in the list of the tests accepted by the teaching council. I know that my written English needs to be polished, but at the moment I only want to teach Spanish as soon as I can so as to apply for Skilled Migrant Category. Does it makes sense?

I am crossing fingers for this new exam...

Thank you again JandM, It is incredible how you help all this people (included me) in the forum. I am not sure if you receive the recognition that you deserve. Thank you <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast