Thread: Transferring visa to another passport

Question Transferring visa to another passport

Hi guys,

I lodged my request to transfer my visa to my new passport as my old passport was expiring.

I lodged on 09/09 but haven't received any confirmation from the INZ until today.

Usually when I lodge application, I get an email from INZ saying my application has been received and being processed.

The INZ website says may take up to 20 calendar days. I know today is the 5th calendar day. Do I need to contact INZ and check with them?
    Last edited by Sackboy; 13th September 2019 at 09:51 AM.

Everything is horrendously backlogged at INZ at the moment, even relatively mundane applications such as this one.

After those stated 20 days, and if your visa transfer isn't completed by then, you will be well within your rights to lodge an official complaint. Until then, the best that you can do is follow up with the call centre.

Hi Sackboy,

My niece was issued E-visa (PR) and it took 30 calendar days for the visa labeling in her Passport and for me, it took 50 days ( Work Visa).

All this processing happened in last 2 months.

Hi cijoc, how many days until you receive a confirmation that they are now processing your visa transfer request since you lodged your application?

Submitted - 23 July 19
    Fee Deducted - 8 Aug 19
    The confirmation email with the courier tracking code - 30 Aug 19

No emails from INZ regarding application lodgement.

When I tried to contact, got the response : "Your transfer to a physical label application is in a queue waiting for an immigration officer to be assigned. You will be contacted if further information is required or once your visa application is finalised."

Wow, that's a long waiting process, more than a month in total.

I guess, I'll just wait for now.

Thanks for your information, much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Sackboy

Hi all,
    Not sure if anyone would know ... I'm planning to renew my passport with local consulate. It takes 3-4mths to get a new passport as the appln is sent to the home country(Malaysia) to process. However if I travel back to my home country, it'd only take 24hrs to renew the passport. I'm considering doing that ... however, how can I possibly transfer the Visa label (PR) before returning to NZ? This is esp true when there is no longer a NZ High-comm consulate in Msia.

My question is ... Can I travel back to NZ if I furnish my old passport w the PR Visa Label while traveling on the new passport? They allow this in the past (donkey years ago).

Further add on ... I many have to travel sometime next year, I'm not sure if I can wait 3-4mths for the new passport (if renew in Wellington) and then wait another 2mths to transfer the Visa label with INZ. That's 6mths of no traveling ... OMG
    Last edited by aley; 4th October 2019 at 11:35 PM.

Can I travel back to NZ if I furnish my old passport w the PR Visa Label while traveling on the new passport?
    That was discontinued a long time ago. There has been a case on the forum this year where somebody managed to get round it, but it's not allowed without some special dispensation from INZ - the airlines can get severely fined if they let someone onto a flight without a valid visa connected to the valid passport.

I suggest you talk to INZ about this - it may not be as hopeless a case as you're thinking. These days, most visas are issued as eVisas, that is, a letter sent by email giving the details of the visa that you hold, which you print off and have to carry with your passport. (There is an option to get a visa label by making an application and a separate payment, but that's a different matter.) This page https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...a-new-passport talks about getting an eVisa as a replacement for a visa label in your old passport, and also mentions sending a certified copy of a passport with the application. I'm thinking that it MAY perhaps be quicker than the traditional thing of having to get the actual passport to an office, so you'd be without it. Worth asking, anyway.