Thread: Bad experiences with Chorus

Default Bad experiences with Chorus

Anyone care to share? I'm at the end of my tether with them. We bought a brand new house one month ago "with Fibre fully ready"... Turns out Chorus did everyone else's house but ours. They came the day after we moved in and couldn't find their cable. Then they gave us and installation date of 16 September (today) now they've changed that, with no warning or explanation to 11 October. My partner works from home and relies on wifi for his job. They're really risking his job with this nonsense – which is completely their fault!!!. We can't even request VDSL because new houses don't get a copper phone line, just fibre. My ISP doesn't seem to care and going to a new provider will just slow everything down even more. Anyway, rant over. Just wanted to see if anyone has had a good experience with these clowns.

In my experience, they're ALL the same. Here in Christchurch many years ago I tried to get a proper install of fiber from the street footpath to the house. But instead, the local owner of the fiber in our neighbourhood (Enable) were only interested in doing 'poor, slip slop, installations'. In fact during the middle of installing a new driveway, many calls to Enable and they could not send a guy to lay the fiber down and told me it won't be until next month. End result, the concrete came well before. Then instead of doing underground bore installations, they said they would run the fiber along the fence (great "with scarcasm" as our home has monitored alarm system), for which a burglar can easily snip the fiber line (well hack saw the conduit). After the huge ordeal, I gave up. I switched providers from Spark to Now! going from ADSL to VDSL. Very happy and the speed is well beyond my needs (over 100mbps DL).

Four doors down, I saw the house where Enable did their fiber installation - utter horrible. While they went underground, the line brought into the garage was horrible. Completely exposed with no conduit. A recent paint job showed they simply painted over the twin fiber line as it went up through the ceiling into the roof space. Interesting the paint was thick enough so the fiber line was stuck on the garage wall in a tangled matter (ie not straight up and down but a few loops along the wall). I'm sure if you Google about the poor instalation jobs by Chorus, they would be similar all over NZ. This is typical even in the building industry where builders are inheritly 'lazy' and do minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    In my experience, they're ALL the same. Here in Christchurch many years ago I tried to get a proper install of fiber from the street footpath to the house. But instead, the local owner of the fiber in our neighbourhood (Enable) were only interested in doing 'poor, slip slop, installations'. In fact during the middle of installing a new driveway, many calls to Enable and they could not send a guy to lay the fiber down and told me it won't be until next month. End result, the concrete came well before. Then instead of doing underground bore installations, they said they would run the fiber along the fence (great "with scarcasm" as our home has monitored alarm system), for which a burglar can easily snip the fiber line (well hack saw the conduit). After the huge ordeal, I gave up. I switched providers from Spark to Now! going from ADSL to VDSL. Very happy and the speed is well beyond my needs (over 100mbps DL).

Four doors down, I saw the house where Enable did their fiber installation - utter horrible. While they went underground, the line brought into the garage was horrible. Completely exposed with no conduit. A recent paint job showed they simply painted over the twin fiber line as it went up through the ceiling into the roof space. Interesting the paint was thick enough so the fiber line was stuck on the garage wall in a tangled matter (ie not straight up and down but a few loops along the wall). I'm sure if you Google about the poor instalation jobs by Chorus, they would be similar all over NZ. This is typical even in the building industry where builders are inheritly 'lazy' and do minimal.
    Nice to see nothing has changed in the past five years haha! They've probably only got worse as time goes on. The guys that turned up the first (and only) time were so clueless! I'm going to have a builder supervise their work when they have to do the digging etc