Thread: Permanent closure of the Silver Fern Job Search Work Visa

Lightbulb Permanent closure of the Silver Fern Job Search Work Visa

Tuesday, 17 September 2019
    On 7 October the Silver Fern Job Search Work Visa will close permanently.
    About the Silver Fern Job Search Work Visa
    The Silver Fern Job Search Visa offers open work visas for young, qualified people who intend to find skilled employment in New Zealand.

Normally, applications for this visa open each year we grant visas to 300 applicants. However we are permanently closing this visa on 7 October 2019 so no visas will be granted.
    If you already hold this visa
    If you already hold a Silver Fern Job Search Work Visa you are not affected by the closure. The conditions of your visa stay the same.
    The Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa remains open
    People who hold Silver Fern Job Search Work Visas can still apply for a Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa.

Yeah it’s a real shame. I came in on this visa and am now a permanent resident. Have had a good career in nz so far; about to get an offer for my third role in this company!

It was kind of an exciting process with the very limited number of spots and the server issues - it was so unreal when I got through!

Quote Originally Posted by Nether111 View Post
    Yeah it’s a real shame. I came in on this visa and am now a permanent resident. Have had a good career in nz so far; about to get an offer for my third role in this company!

It was kind of an exciting process with the very limited number of spots and the server issues - it was so unreal when I got through!
    Likewise. I spent three hours non-stop refreshing the page as it kept on crashing. I was about to give up but finally managed to get it to load and get my application in. Then, I had to repeat the process for my wife since you can't include a partner on the application. We managed to get 2/300 spots in the 2017 round. While we are applying for residency now, we weren't sure at the time whether we wanted to commit to NZ so the Silver Fern was the ideal visa for us. It's too bad they are permanently closing this path.

Wow la-Skydiver, you got 2 spots!! That's amazing I managed to get a spot in 2017 as well. My sister got one around 2010 or sometime back then the first year it was offered and we thought we were lucky with 2 in one family!