Thread: Partner of a worker to Resident

Default Partner of a worker to Resident

When we had applied for partnership based visitor visa, my husband was holding a work visa. Now he has received his residence. Is it possible to update the Partnership category now to partner of a resident or should we reapply it fresh? Suggestions please.

Is there any reason why your partner did not include you as a dependent applicant on his Resident Visa application?

As you were not included as a dependent applicant on your partner's Resident Visa application, you are likely ineligible for a Resident Visa under the Partnership Category as per F2.5(e) and, if you are indeed ineligible, will need to qualify for subsequent temporary visas as well as a Resident Visa in your own right.

Now your husband has residence, you will need to change your application to be a "Partner of a New Zealander" one, because at present any visa of yours depends on his, and his previous (work) visa number, on which you applied for a Partner of a New Zealand Worker Work Visa, will no longer be valid.

To be eligible for a Partner of a New Zealander Residence visa, you would have to be able to show that you have lived together for 12 months. If you haven't lived together for that long, it will have to be a Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders

@JandM So is it possible to update my current visa as partner of a resident visitor visa? Also can you tell me what is the process to change the type? Thanks in advance 😊

I have never heard of anyone in effect changing the name of their visa. In your place, I would contact INZ and ask them if it's possible, though, or what else you need to do.

If you have to start from the beginning and apply for a new visa, look at the tab on that last link marked Process, and it tells you what to do.

INZ informed that the visa type can be updated to Partner of a Resident by informing the Mumbai branch via e-mail. Thank you @JandM

That's good news!