Thread: Partner of Residence Visa Applicant - to declare or not to declare?

Default Partner of Residence Visa Applicant - to declare or not to declare?

I'm about to submit a residence application and am unsure whether to declare my girlfriend (an NZ citizen) on the application, as she does not meet INZ's definition of de facto partner since we have only lived together for 6 months.

However if my application is unsuccessful I would intend to lodge a partner based visa application next year, and it might look odd if I submit an application based on someone I didn't declare only a few months earlier.

What's the smart thing to do here? I'd just include her on it if it weren't for having to include her family members too - her mother was abusive and is now estranged and most probably 'known to the police', as it were, so I'd really rather leave her off it.

Of particular note is section E1 of INZ1000: Note: if you do not declare all your partnerÂ’s family members, your residence application could be declined. If you are granted residence and it is later found that all family members were not declared, you may become liable for deportation

I mean really?

Give the details. INZ aren't going to be investigating her, or any of her family, in any way that will impact on your application. Getting the list of family members is really for administrative convenience for them to be on record if, in the case of a foreigner, one of them applying from overseas in the future claims they have family connections already in NZ. I really doubt they'll have any interest once they see that your partner is a NZer and isn't going to be needing to apply for a visa.

If you're applying for partnership residency now, you have to have been living together for 12 months. It's stated on INZ1000 instructions. Unless I've misunderstood your situation?

You're right, of course, but I'm assuming this isn't partner-based, as NiceCupOfTea says, "However if my application is unsuccessful I would intend to lodge a partner based visa application next year."

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You're right, of course, but I'm assuming this isn't partner-based, as NiceCupOfTea says, "However if my application is unsuccessful I would intend to lodge a partner based visa application next year."
    Ah yeah, I got confused by the title