Thread: On Essential Skills - new job with accredited employer

Default On Essential Skills - new job with accredited employer

Hi all,

I'm currently employed under essential skills (based on my EOI, currently have ITA submitted). I have been offered a job with an accredited employer, and realized changes happening on the 7th where threshold will be higher than what I currently earn.

since the job is in the same city/same field (both fall under the same job code), does it even make sense to go for the accredited work visa, or just change of conditions? My essential skills will expire in March, but afaik if my residency application isn't approved by then I should still be able to renew my work visa based on my ITA, right?

Am I missing something? Or am I worrying about nothing for the upcoming changes in Talent visa?

It looks as though you're already on one path towards getting residence (temporary work visa -> SMC). Getting a WTR visa, whether the Talent (Accredited Employer) which is very shortly being altered (and won't be WTR any more) or the Long Term Skills Shortage List work visa, would be a detour into a different kind of path towards residence.
    My essential skills will expire in March, but afaik if my residency application isn't approved by then I should still be able to renew my work visa based on my ITA, right?
    I think you're right.

Might be good to shift to the WTR Talent Accredited Employer if you can get your documents ready before October 7th. Like a back up plan of some sort

It’s a new work visa application unfortunately and not just a variation of conditions as JandM mentioned before https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55454

That's cool. Yeah unlikely they'll get everything organised before then. Shame, but VOC still seems like a viable option.

I have been on the phone with immigration trying to discuss my options, and it appears as my current role isn't on the long term skill band. However, the new job is on the long term skill shortage list. (Both roles pretty much the same, slight variation in responsibilities.)

In saying that, as I am changing my conditions to a role on the skill shortage list, does that mean I am allowed to change both job and employer? https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ng-a-work-visa seems to indicate so, as it states 'your job' but I am not sure if that's my current role they're basing that on, or the job I am moving into?

also; form inz1020 seems to indicate if my employer is accredited, no INZ1113 is required. Is that the case even if I am on an ESV, not Talent? https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...016_fa_web.pdf (actually as I kept reading even the front of the page indicates "unless your new employer is accredited. Might keep this part here anyway in case someone else searches for the same in the future.")

That section about Essential Skills Visas https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ng-a-work-visa -

If you have an Essential Skills Work Visa, and your job is not on a skill shortage list, you can only apply to change your employer.

Skill shortage lists

You need to apply for a new work visa to:

change job
    location, or
    to change employment to a lower skill-band.
    - doesn't seem to me to be clear for someone in your situation, as it could be read either way. It's ONLY INZ who can tell you for sure what you are allowed to do, between VOC and a new visa.

Thanks - yeah that's a trippy formulation to say the least.
    Found another read which I believe (if still accurate) can form some sort of increased confusion, or clear matter out:

From the INZ1020:
    ""
    section E2:If you are applying for a variation of conditions to allow you to work for a different employer, in a different
    occupation, or in a different place of employment, provide details.
    Job title
    Employer’s name
    New Zealand Business Number
    For help search: www.nzbn.govt.nz
    Unless your new employer is an Accredited Employer, an Employer Supplementary [INZ 1113] Form must be
    completed by your new employer if you are applying to work for a different employer.
    ""
    so - seeing as new employer is accredited, there's no INZ 1113 required. And since there's no new INZ 1113, there's no actual way for me to provide job codes etc with my application?

I will ring immigration again tomorrow and hopefully this time they'll be able to clear out any confusions.

I'm noticing that little word "or", which I think means you can only make one change at a time on a VOC. INZ will tell you, yes.

Hey,
    So for all lurkers out there like myself, my VOC was approved today. New job with accredited employer and higher skill band/in demand. Hopefully it's helpful for someone out there in a similar position as myself.
    The cover letter where i specified my start date on wasn't taken into consideration so I'll be on the phone with immigration tonight to see what's the scenario, as new conditions started immediately. Hoping this can be sorted out.
    also over the moon as the process was way quicker than I expected. Cheers for all replies!

Quote Originally Posted by markus12345 View Post
    Hey,
    So for all lurkers out there like myself, my VOC was approved today. New job with accredited employer and higher skill band/in demand. Hopefully it's helpful for someone out there in a similar position as myself.
    The cover letter where i specified my start date on wasn't taken into consideration so I'll be on the phone with immigration tonight to see what's the scenario, as new conditions started immediately. Hoping this can be sorted out.
    also over the moon as the process was way quicker than I expected. Cheers for all replies!

good news

how long it take for your application to process ?