Thread: ITA Failed Lodgement - Can I dispute?

Default ITA Failed Lodgement - Can I dispute?

As the title says my ITA paperwork is on my way back to me due to an X-ray I had submitted with a previous visa application being deemed as invalid as they have assessed me as having living outside NZ for more than 6 months between the submission of my previous X-ray submission and my new SMC visa application (this info just coming from an INZ helpdesk lady). I had never heard of a policy that requires you to get a new x-ray just because you've been living outwith NZ for more than six months, and nor had she, she was just relying the information to me! My x-ray certificate is from about 24 months ago.

I am aware of the policy for using existing X-ray's for SMC Visa Application:
    "Even if you sent us a chest x-ray certificate with an earlier visa application, you must get another x-ray if:
    it has been more than 3 years since you had the last one, or
    you have spent more than 6 months in a row in a country that does not have a low incidence of TB since you had the last x-ray."

During my brief (8 months absence from NZ) I did not spend any extended amount of time in countries that have a high incidence of TB, in fact I was working in the UK for 6 months, briefly traveled to Mexico for 1.5 months and visited my home country of Latvia for 2 weeks. Surely they can see this by checking my travel records right?! So I am completely baffled as to why they require me to do another chest x-ray. I mean a part of me wants to just give in & bite the bullet and do it (ah, what's another $200 eh?) and resubmit the application, but another part of me wants to fight this if I am in the right, as I think they have largely overlooked this in my application and it infuriates the hell out of me!

So just wanted to ask if anyone have any experience in disputing/querying a failed lodgement for SMC before? Or will I just look silly, waste lots of time and my application will get put in the slowest moving queue humanly possible for me being branded "difficult"?

To be perfectly honest I think they are just taking a mickey and trying to delay as many new SMC applications as they can. Even if I dispute this, it'll be another 2 weeks for my bloody application to even enter into the processing queue AGAIN. It took them 2 weeks between me sending the full application form and them flipping telling me of this "invalid" x-ray! Why wouldn't they just call or e-mail,why send the WHOLE application back to me?!

Sympathies with your frustration.

People who dispute things like this rarely win over INZ, it being a huge government bureaucracy. It's always annoying - as adults, we're used to being able to control a lot of what happens to us, but in this situation, we most often have to accept being ground by their 'machine'.

I do see your point about the need for an X-ray being arguable, but I'd say, think whether you'd rather spend time on the argument, or get your visa more quickly by just giving in.

On your last point - returning the whole application - that's normal practice, because many people make an invalid submission then never come back with the missing documents/evidence/etc., because they CAN'T (and if they did, they might take months to do so), so on principle, INZ won't retain the incomplete cases to clutter up their system.

Hi JandM,
    Thanks for your reply, honestly I sometimes think you're the calming force for all of our oceans of anxiety on this forum!
    I just received my application back with a letter - they acknowledged that my previous x-ray I submitted for previous temporary visa application (ESV) is still valid, however as I have resided outside of NZ for more than 6 consecutive months since the date of my last x-ray, a new certificate is required.
    As far as I can see this is not an official INZ policy for SMC visa (unless I had spent 6 consecutive months in a country with a high incidence of TB, which I have not), and as said above I think they're just taking me for a ride by trying to delay new visa applications....but oh well, X-ray booked in for tomorrow, so they will be receiving my full application back again tomorrow arvo.
    Last edited by mad_wild; 14th October 2019 at 10:46 AM.

Good luck.