Thread: Resident to PR

Default Resident to PR

Hi everyone,
    My partner holds a resident visa and on his passport its mentioned indefinite. However , he needs to apply for PR after 24th Oct 2019 coz as per rules after 24 months one can apply for PR . Now my question is :
    What is the procedure for PR ?
    In how much time will he get his PR from resident ?
    Coz he needs to visit me in India after he gets PR .
    Will be grateful if anyone can answer these questions .
    Thank you

The procedure for applying for permanent residence is outlined in the visa fact sheet on the INZ website: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#overview

If you click on the "process" tab and enter your information, they will direct you to the proper form and its guide.

Current visa processing times can be found here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sa-application

Hi,
    Can I add on some clarification ...

1) Police clearance - my wife has been in NZ the past 1yr 10mths. She unlikely travel back home. I understand the purpose is for character verification. Can a letter from company with endorsement be used instead? Finger print were taken previously for Resident Visa, we can try to request online,

2) Similarly my daughter turned 17yrs old while in NZ. However she doesnt have fingerprint taken ... can she use school letter instead?

Thanks in advance

Note A5.5(b): "Applicants for a further residence class visa under RV2 [Resident visa holders applying for a permanent resident visa] or RV4 [Grant of a second or subsequent resident visa] will not usually need to submit a police or similar certificate, unless specifically asked to by an immigration officer."

You will not normally need to worry about submitting updated police clearance certificates from your original country if you are the holder of a Resident Visa applying for a Permanent Resident Visa. It is far more likely that INZ will request a New Zealand police clearance certificate, but this is be done by INZ themselves on your behalf: you will not need to do anything in this regard.

If you do need to submit updated police clearance certificates from your original country, the immigration officer assessing your application will let you know. Take note though: A5.5 mentions "police or similar certificate", so a letter from company with endorsement and/or school letter will likely be considered unacceptable. From my experience with my original Resident Visa application, it must be an original police clearance certificate.

If I were in your position, I would not even bother with obtaining a police clearance certificate from my original country, unless and until INZ decides to ask for one.