Thread: Visitor / Partnership work visa

Default Visitor / Partnership work visa

I've tried looking in the threads but have not come across a similar situation.

If I come to NZ with a visitor visa with mutliple entries for 2 years but expires 2 months after each arrival and then I submit a partner of a new zealander work visa application a few days after arriving in NZ, considering how long work visas are processed, will I be given an interim visa after the 2nd month of staying there?

Thanks!

What visa you go in on, and what visa you then apply for, are not relevant.

If you put in an application for ANY kind of temporary visa while in NZ covered by ANY kind of valid visa, an interim visa will be issued to cover you for the time it takes to process your new application. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...t/interim-visa

Notice, you won't be able to work on the interim visa, because you would be applying for a different kind of visa from the one you already had. (See the Criteria tab.)

Also notice, you will need to show that you have solid evidence of partnership (living together) already, two to three months'-worth*, at the time you apply for the partner-sponsored work visa.

*No length of time is stated in the regulations, but we know from experience that INZ take applications seriously with that amount of evidence.

Thank for the quick response and additional information provided JandM! Highly appreciate it.

Anyhow, I think I was not able to highlight it in the prior message but my focus is actually on the " visa expiry date". I understand that interim visas are granted once a previous visa expires whilst a new application is still being assessed. Yet I am uncertain if it pertains to the "the last date you may travel to NZ" or to the "expires 2 months after each arrival". I hope you could make this clearer for me.

The expiry date - the date on which, if you stayed in NZ without getting some other visa, the present one would run out, so that after that, you would be an illegal overstayer.

Thank you JandM!