Thread: Taking our large dog to NZ from France

Default Taking our large dog to NZ from France

Hello everyone
    I was wondering if there were any frogs on the forum or anyone experienced with taking a dog from France to NZ?
    We are planning our move for April with the whole family which includes our 85 pounds Rhodesian Ridgeback.
    I have got only one quote from Bagagesdumonde/airtransportanimal at 5000€ just for transport (without paperwork nor quarantine). As far as I know there are only 2 companies operating in France, the other one being Goldenwaypets (who is not answering my calls or mails).
    At this point we are considering handling everything ourselves (with the help of our vet who is very helpful) : permit to import & certificate A (at our regional official vet in Bordeaux), certificate B (at Roissy airport as they are the only one allowed to do it and seal the cage in France!), transporting doggy as an accompanying luggage (probably on Qatar Airways as they are the only ones accepting IATA cages big enough for him) and book the quarantine ourselves.
    Did anyone try that and got through all the paperwork?
    Any input or help would be appreciated.

I just want to say how much I respect you for including your dog as one of your family in your plans.

I don't remember seeing details on the forum from anyone who has done what you're asking about. Perhaps there is someone experienced reading this who hasn't posted before. Anyone?

Bad news: there are weight restrictions at CDG Roissy-Paris Airport as well as in Auckland. No (live animal + crate) above 32 kg can be shipped as checked luggage.
    Therefore it has to go through cargo. So far, all cargo companies I contacted require to book the transport with a professional pet transporter (looking more thoroughly I found more than 2, hopefully I will end up finding one with a reasonable quote).

Wishing you all the best with your search. It WILL be expensive though, I'm sure, from what people have had to pay from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamyam33 View Post
    Bad news: there are weight restrictions at CDG Roissy-Paris Airport as well as in Auckland. No (live animal + crate) above 32 kg can be shipped as checked luggage.
    Therefore it has to go through cargo. So far, all cargo companies I contacted require to book the transport with a professional pet transporter (looking more thoroughly I found more than 2, hopefully I will end up finding one with a reasonable quote).
    Good luck with the move! We brought two dogs from the UK at the start of 2018, and I seem to remember there needing to be an official pet transporter company, we couldn't do it as individuals.

Worth saying there's nothing to worry about with the actual transport, though. Our two dogs were absolutely unfazed when they reached the other end - one just seemed to have mild jet lag as he only perked up about 2 days into quarantine, he just wanted to snooze at first!

I will be intently watching this, as we will be (one day--I thought we'd be in NZ by now) moving our Dalmatian with us from Germany when we go. I would rather not pay 5.000€ to some transport company.

It is the airlines rather than a Govt requirement that you use a licensed pet transporter. Although 12 years ago, we flew our cats over with Air NewZealand and they gave us a list of transporters that they wanted us to use. We asked if we could use any other and they said they would need to approve them first. Looking at the Govt website this does not seem to have changed. https://www.govt.nz/browse/immigrati...o-new-zealand/