Thread: Resident visa for baby born outside NZ

Default Resident visa for baby born outside NZ

Hi,
    Myself, mywife and my elder son hold permanent resident visa with no conditions (indefinite). In March 2019, we have moved back to our home country due to some personal commitments, which we need to deliver here. By the time we moved to our home country, my wife was pregnant and baby girl arrived our family in June 2019.
    Can we apply permanent resident visa for our new born outside of NZ?
    Currently, as we are not residing in NZ and we are not planning to move to NZ immediately, but on safer side, we just want to apply resident visa for her, as we never know, when things might change.
    I have seen some posts, where we need to stay in NZ while applying resident visa for new born.
    If that is the case then, is there any alternate approach or suggestion?

Thankyou.
    Last edited by ssachin; 31st October 2019 at 06:05 AM.

I have seen some posts, where we need to stay in NZ while applying resident visa for new born.
    That's correct.
    If that is the case then, is there any alternate approach or suggestion?
    No.

Whenever you want to travel to NZ, your daughter, as the child of residents, will be entitled to a visitor visa, if she is then under school age, or a Student Visa if she is by then five or over. https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/mo.../partner-visas Once you are back in NZ and can show evidence that you have once again settled there to live (e.g. ownership or rental of a home, employment or business set-up), she can get a Dependent Child Resident Visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

Thanks JandM for clarifying my query.

Hi Jandm, I am in a similar situation, we are going back as permanent residents to NZ with a baby born overseas. Do we apply for the 9 months visitor visa for her before travelling to NZ or do we go straight without applying for a visitor visa (we are from a visa waiver country) . I am hesitating because when applying for a visitor visa our baby girl needs to meet the genuine cause for travel (only visiting the country) however of course the ultimate goal is that she becomes a resident as well. Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Rosario View Post
    Hi Jandm, I am in a similar situation, we are going back as permanent residents to NZ with a baby born overseas. Do we apply for the 9 months visitor visa for her before travelling to NZ or do we go straight without applying for a visitor visa (we are from a visa waiver country) . I am hesitating because when applying for a visitor visa our baby girl needs to meet the genuine cause for travel (only visiting the country) however of course the ultimate goal is that she becomes a resident as well. Thanks for your help
    You must be actually residing in New Zealand in order to apply for a residence class visa under the Dependent Child Category. If not, you will fail to meet the definition of "lawfully and permanently in New Zealand" per F5.5.5, and any application under the Dependent Child Category must consequently be declined under F5.1.5.

On the other hand, the immigration instructions for the Dependent Child Visitor Visa may be found at V3.20. This is a special category of Visitor Visa, and INZ simply expects that the dependent child's parents intend to stay in New Zealand during the same period of time applied for by the dependent child, and that the parent supports the application. Consequently, this provides a pathway to meeting the requirements of the Dependent Child Resident Visa, and the overwhelming majority of people on this forum in a similar situation to yours have taken this route.

If travelling visa waiver, the general requirements for visitors (V2) will instead apply (as a visa waiver traveller is granted a Visitor Visa at the border if entry permission is obtained), and therefore in this situation the genuine cause for travel must be met.

Agreed. Thanks, Kelerei.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Agreed. Thanks, Kelerei.
    Thanks Kelerei and Jandm for your quick response, we will proceed and apply for the 9 months visitor visa before travelling back to NZ . Much appreciated