Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Character waiver

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you do a search of the forum, you'll find old threads about character waivers. Some people have been successful - generally, in cases where whatever they had done that was illegal had happened quite some time before, and they had character witnesses to say they had lived a good and useful life since, so that it was a reasonable hope for INZ that they had seen the error of their ways. (Some did and some didn't have an LIA. While an LIA can sometimes be a calming influence through a fraught situation, there's nothing they can do that you can't about writing to ask for a character waiver.)

Your letter needs to admit fully what you did. You need to take responsibility for it. You can state any extenuating circumstances (e.g. being young and inexperienced, possibly influenced by other people), but admit that, while these are reasons, they are not excuses. You can then say what you have done with your life since, to show that you are a different sort of person now. You should find several people of standing in your community who will give you a character reference to show that you are a responsible person who is reliable at their work, a good neighbour, maybe a volunteer for good causes, etc.. You can refer to your relationship, and the possible contribution your partner will be able to make to New Zealand, as well as your own, and beg for the chance.

When you have sent in your application for a character waiver, your CO will quite likely send it to a senior CO to be considered by her/him also. Your case can't be sent for 2pc till after this matter is decided.

As with all matters at INZ, it takes as long as it takes. Quite a lot of time that passes for any part of processing will be spent by your file waiting its turn in a date-order queue for its turn for attention.
    Thanks Jandm, this helps . I'm going to get letters from friends, my partner and her mum and anyother important person . It's scary but I'll do my best in my letter .

Quote Originally Posted by ML2 View Post
    Is it ok for you to share what was declared wrong? Is it about visa rejection?
    I tried to inbox you but couldn't see an option to that . But it's just a false claim to prove that I was a bona fide applicant.

If you can get letters from professionals, such as a doctor, solicitor, teacher, etc, who know you do your bit for society in some way, that will carry more weight than if everything is from friends or family.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you can get letters from professionals, such as a doctor, solicitor, teacher, etc, who know you do your bit for society in some way, that will carry more weight than if everything is from friends or family.
    Thanks , I'll do this . Also I was the one who declared on my application for resident visa that I did provided a false statement in my visitor Visa application in 2015 . This is because I don't want them to find out themselves as I know they will eventually do . I also hope they consider this .

I'll keep all updated. Thanks everyone

my Co emailed on Thursday saying he has submitted my character waiver to a Technical Advisor. i hear people say their application goes to 2pc but mine to a technical advisor. what's the difference between a Technical Advisor & 2pc ? if after the Technical Advisor decides on my character waiver will my application still have to go again to 2PC ?

or does a technical Advisor can also be some sort of 2pc too ?

thanks

This is entirely conjecture on my part, but it sounds like it may be a sub-team at INZ that specifically deals with character matters, and thus may not necessarily be the second person check.

Erin is the one person on this forum who will know for sure; hopefully she'll see this when her Despoiler of Nappies gives her leave...

A technical advisor is a senior CO given discretion to assess various matters whose details aren't exactly covered in the regulations. A character waiver can certainly come under that heading. You'll see, for instance at A5.25 i, "Any decision to waive the good character requirements must be made by an immigration officer with Schedule 1-3 delegations." https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#35058.htm 2pcs CAN sometimes be done by a TA, but they aren't all. In your case, it's not possible to tell in advance whether the TA will only decide on the waiver, or might also do the 2nd person checking. But yes, it may have to be a separate process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12