Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character waiver

Default Character waiver

Hi everyone,
    I just joined & This is my first post here & I will appreciate your comments if possible.
    Anyone have an experience about character waiver process? Does it come after 2pc or before 2pc ?
    My Co told me that character process will follow after I submit current /further evidence of living together . It's being more than 3weeks I submitted all required documents but I've not heard from him . So I'm just curious to know with anyone who have being through character waiver process or anyone with any idea to share, if the application goes to 2pc for recommendation 1st or before ? Like Is it the 2pc that suggests a character waiver should be granted or the CO ?

Thanks .

Checking an applicant's character is part of the CO's responsibility.

As you're applying for a partner-sponsored visa, your CO has apparently decided to make sure that your partnership is satisfactorily proved before getting into the character requirement (which makes sense, as, if you didn't have enough evidence of partnership to qualify, there would be no point in investigating your character).

It's only when the CO has ticked off all the requirements necessary that s/he will make a recommendation for an outcome. Then the whole case gets passed to the 2pc official, for her/him to check for any errors or omissions before s/he confirms the outcome, good or bad (or sends it back for more work if the CO has missed something or done it wrongly, but that is rare).

Your CO will be working about 100 cases in rotation, so any replies get added to your file wherever it is waiting in the rotating queue, and the CO won't see them till it's the case's next turn for attention. S/He may be waiting for verification from other people (as well as your paperwork) before s/he can take the next step(s).

Thank you so much Jandm , just last question please if everything / all partnership evidence satisfies the CO and he/she Grants a character waiver are their chances of success more than chances of failure? My character issue is all about making false statements to immigration which was borne out of nervousness .

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpnroll View Post
    Thank you so much Jandm , just last question please if everything / all partnership evidence satisfies the CO and he/she Grants a character waiver are their chances of success more than chances of failure? My character issue is all about making false statements to immigration which was borne out of nervousness .
    This question is impossible to answer: it depends on whether or not your other evidence satisfies the case officer that you meet the requirements of the visa you are applying for.

If you are granted a character waiver, and you meet all other requirements to the case officer's satisfaction, your application should be approved -- though, it's always possible that second person checking will reveal errors on the case officer's part, and such error could be of a magnitude that affects the outcome of the application.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 6th November 2019 at 02:27 PM.

Yes, you're asking for someone to read the future - IF this, and IF that.

When applying for a character waiver, the applicant has to take full responsibility for whatever they have done, and recognize the seriousness of it, and that there isn't an excuse - the letter has to be a grovel, really.

Just an update, my CO has contacted me saying that he has completed my assessment and went ahead to say "We invite you to make comments or provide information to help us decide if your circumstances
    justify waiving the residence character requirement Upload any further comments or information to support why you should be granted a character
    waiver by Wednesday 4 December 2019."

I'm so scared that I've completely lost my appetite and don't think I can find it until I'm done with this process. I made a false statement in my visitor Visa application in 2015 , a false claim that was unnecessary & uncalled for , looking back I feel so stupid to have made such comment in a letter to support my application. My record from my home country to every other countries I've lived is clean but it hurts to know how little lies like this that occurred over 4 years could possibly affect the outcome of Visa application.

Please anyone who has been through this character waiver process can please share your experience.
    Any success stories ? I may think it's not a serious offense as I just claimed that I have something I never had however I know that any false information no matter how little is a serious offense to the integrity of inz system.

After submission does this go to 2pc right away and how long does it take to get a decision?

Thanks Fam

Do you have a LIA?

If you do a search of the forum, you'll find old threads about character waivers. Some people have been successful - generally, in cases where whatever they had done that was illegal had happened quite some time before, and they had character witnesses to say they had lived a good and useful life since, so that it was a reasonable hope for INZ that they had seen the error of their ways. (Some did and some didn't have an LIA. While an LIA can sometimes be a calming influence through a fraught situation, there's nothing they can do that you can't about writing to ask for a character waiver.)

Your letter needs to admit fully what you did. You need to take responsibility for it. You can state any extenuating circumstances (e.g. being young and inexperienced, possibly influenced by other people), but admit that, while these are reasons, they are not excuses. You can then say what you have done with your life since, to show that you are a different sort of person now. You should find several people of standing in your community who will give you a character reference to show that you are a responsible person who is reliable at their work, a good neighbour, maybe a volunteer for good causes, etc.. You can refer to your relationship, and the possible contribution your partner will be able to make to New Zealand, as well as your own, and beg for the chance.

When you have sent in your application for a character waiver, your CO will quite likely send it to a senior CO to be considered by her/him also. Your case can't be sent for 2pc till after this matter is decided.

As with all matters at INZ, it takes as long as it takes. Quite a lot of time that passes for any part of processing will be spent by your file waiting its turn in a date-order queue for its turn for attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpnroll View Post
    Just an update, my CO has contacted me saying that he has completed my assessment and went ahead to say "We invite you to make comments or provide information to help us decide if your circumstances
    justify waiving the residence character requirement Upload any further comments or information to support why you should be granted a character
    waiver by Wednesday 4 December 2019."

I'm so scared that I've completely lost my appetite and don't think I can find it until I'm done with this process. I made a false statement in my visitor Visa application in 2015 , a false claim that was unnecessary & uncalled for , looking back I feel so stupid to have made such comment in a letter to support my application. My record from my home country to every other countries I've lived is clean but it hurts to know how little lies like this that occurred over 4 years could possibly affect the outcome of Visa application.

Please anyone who has been through this character waiver process can please share your experience.
    Any success stories ? I may think it's not a serious offense as I just claimed that I have something I never had however I know that any false information no matter how little is a serious offense to the integrity of inz system.

After submission does this go to 2pc right away and how long does it take to get a decision?

Thanks Fam

Is it ok for you to share what was declared wrong? Is it about visa rejection?

No , but I intend doing it myself, I can't afford one at the moment. Unfortunately

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast