Thread: Traveling Outside New Zealand for 3-4 days on Holiday while SMC application is in process

Default Traveling Outside New Zealand for 3-4 days on Holiday while SMC application is in process

I am travlleing outside NZ for a couple of days in Feb 2020, while my SMC application is in process. Could you please advise if i can travel? and do i need to inform INZ about my travelling plans.

Note: My application has been lodgded on 16th Aug 2019 and hasn't been allocated to a CO/IO.

We submitted our SMC application in May and travelled overseas shortly after for 2 weeks. No problem as long as you have a valid visa with multiple entries.

Quote Originally Posted by satty02 View Post
    Could you please advise if i can travel?
    There is no evidence in the operations manual, or anywhere else, that I can find, that suggests that travelling will affect your Resident Visa application. I suspect that this is actually a fairly common occurrence (e.g. consider the case of a Work Visa holder, with a Resident Visa application in progress, needing to travel internationally on business -- and this happens every now and then with some of my co-workers!).

Of course, you will need to ensure that your current temporary visa allows re-entry on that visa.

Quote Originally Posted by satty02 View Post
    and do i need to inform INZ about my travelling plans.
    Again, no documentation to say whether you should or shouldn't. If I were in your situation though, I would let them know anyway, but I doubt that it's strictly necessary (though maybe confirm with the call centre anyway, for your own peace of mind if nothing else!).

Not that it impacts your situation, but it's worth noting that you shouldn't leave the country just after you submit the ITA and prior to payment being taken, as when they check your current location you appear offshore and get charged more!

Speaking from experience - I sent my EOI in from NZ, but then traveled for work and the ITA letter came back with the offshore amount. When I queried it, it was due to me appearing offshore in their passport check. Their advice was to make sure I was in NZ after ITA was submitted and prior to payment being taken to ensure I was charged as an onshore applicant.

Hi Thanks everyone, My payement was deducted on 29th Aug, so that should not be an issue and I inform INZ so there are no issues or whatsoever and yes my visa has multiple entries and expies in Aug 2020.

I asked them earlier in the year just to make sure and they said it's fine to go on holiday, my essential skills is my valid visa and those conditions apply until it's replaced or expires.