Thread: NSC Timeframes

Default NSC Timeframes

Hi All

I recently applied for a Talent Accredited Employer Residence Visa for myself (with my partner also included in the application). Lodged the application on Monday 11th Nov, received a package by courier yesterday (22nd) that included our passports etc, but also requesting we both fill out National Security Checks. We both lived in China for quite some time; my partner is Chinese.

Does anyone have a recent estimate of how long the NSCs are taking to clear? I’ve read elsewhere on the forum it can add around 6 months to overall visa processing time? Can I assume that the CO will at least process everything else in the application if the NSC is going to take that long? Meaning that when the NSC eventually clears at least the application can be pretty much approved straight away (assuming everything else goes okay)?

Thanks!

Oh, this is unlucky, but quite often happens when time spent in China is involved.

Does anyone have a recent estimate of how long the NSCs are taking to clear?
    No. It takes as long as it takes, and depends on the foreign government, who are being asked to check on the individual(s) and report back. Naturally enough, this isn't a rewarding activity for them, so many don't give it a high priority.
    I’ve read elsewhere on the forum it can add around 6 months to overall visa processing time?
    It can - or more.
    Can I assume that the CO will at least process everything else in the application if the NSC is going to take that long? Meaning that when the NSC eventually clears at least the application can be pretty much approved straight away (assuming everything else goes okay)?
    Sorry, but you can't assume anything. There is no set order in which a CO has to process an application, so you just have to hope yours does what seems to be the sensible thing you describe.

Don't know if this helps but it was 3 years ago .... someone said her Chinese partner's NSC took 3months but note that it must not go for everyone as the same . You can be lucky it will get done faster or not .

https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51892&page=2

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I have a related question on that basis that I’d love some insight on please.

It looks increasingly likely that the fact that I need a NSC will mean I may not get my residence visa before my current work visa runs out in late April 2020. I guess I’ll just then apply for another Talent Accredited Work visa to enable me to stay here working for my current accredited employer until my residence gets approved. My question is can I wait until basically just before my current work visa expires to apply for the next Talent Accredited Work Visa (based on the fact that I have a residence visa with all the paperwork already lodged)? Or do I have to apply for the work visa a few months before (website says 90% of applications approved within 61 days) like a completely new immigrant applicant would need to?

Thanks!

It should be all right to wait till late on, because once you have an application in for another temporary work visa (whatever kind) INZ will be able to issue you with an Interim visa, to keep you legally in NZ while processing goes on. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...t/interim-visa Also, since you would be applying for another of the same kind of temporary work visa, you would be able to continue to work on the interim visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...isa-conditions.

Did you have to go through the NSC when you applied for your Talent Accredited Employer Work Visas?

Thanks for the informative response JandM. That puts my mind at ease, at least somewhat anyway!
    i didn’t have to get an NSC when applying for my Talent Work visa in 2017, and nor did my partner when applying for her Partner of a Worker Work Visa. I also have a Chinese colleague who recently got granted a Talent Work Visa and did not need a NSC.
    I imagine it’s because the stakes are that much higher for Immigration NZ when granting residence as distinct from a temporary visa, hence their recourse to asking us for the NSC now rather than in 2017.