Thread: Seeking clarification regarding experience as a web developer

Question Seeking clarification regarding experience as a web developer

Hello all,

My name is Andrew. I am married, 32, from (and living in) the United Kingdom and have five years professional experience as a front-end developer. We have both spent time in NZ previously under the Working Holiday Visa.

My reason for posting this thread is to hopefully clarify our situation in regards to eligibility for eventual Residency in NZ with my wife under the LTSS of 'Web Developer'. I appreciate this sub-forum is about actual qualifications but it seems like the best fit for my question.

I have no formal qualifications, certainly not at degree level (though my wife does in Marketing & Advertising from the UK) but my understanding is that my five years experience can be 'converted' to an equivalent degree.

Based on this, I started to roughly calculate my points using the Points Calculator here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/tools/points-indicator-smc-28aug but following a conversation with an immigration advisor it seems I was being a bit optimistic in my expectations around work experience being subsumed into a qualification.

It was explained to us that although my experience can be converted into an equivalent qualfication, this both negates the points you can then claim for work experience and also the actual points for the qualification itself. I do understand how the same work experience used for an equivalent qualification cannot be used as work experience points but I'm really confused by the converted qualification itself - it seems that although work experience can be converted, you then do not score points for the qualification - which seems to negate the point of having the conversion in the first place. It is this area in particular I am seeking clarification about. Can someone please explain how this area of equivalent qualifications works?

My calculations are largely hypothetical, assuming that by the time we apply for Residency the following will be true:

Skilled employment:
    I've been offered Skilled Employment in New Zealand: 50pts
    I've been offered work in an area of absolute skills shortage: 10pts
    I've been offered work outside of Auckland: 30pts
    Total: 90-120pts (depending on employment being in or out of Auckland)

I don't think this total, even at 120, is eligible for the Residency Visa. My wife scores better (140-170) as she has work experience (of around 1-2) years and a degree in Marketing so our understanding is that her situation is the more viable route to eventual Residency but I would like to understand more about my own position.

Thank you for your help!

edit: I can't figure out how to edit my post but here's a link to the ANZSCO website which states: At least five years of relevant experience and/or relevant vendor certification may substitute for the formal qualification.

Let me show you a better place to look, to help you understand what is required.

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#6954.htm are all the regulations about the Skilled Migrant Category. SM1.10 has a chart of all the points that can be claimed under the different headings, and the last column refers you on to the section with the precise requirements for being eligible for those points.

If you look at the Qualifications section, you'll see that you can ONLY get those points if you actually hold an eligible qualification. There is no possibility of converting a number of years' experience to get those particular points which are specifically for holders of a relevant qualification.

What you have seen or been told about five years' experience counting instead of a qualification refers to the fact that that amount of work experience will enable you to be counted as a skilled worker, BECAUSE of the time spent doing the job. (Mentioned in various places, for instance, SM6.10 a ii.)

If you use five of your years' experience in order to present yourself as a skilled worker, but you actually have more years of work experience - say, 7 in all - you could claim points for the extra years (two extra years = 10 points, in that example). https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66798.htm

If one of you can claim enough points to apply under SMC, that person can name the other partner as a secondary applicant, and, if successful, you will both end up with Residence.

Thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated.

So while I cannot claim for points for converting to a qualification, my five years experience can be used to class me as a skilled worker in the absence of formal qualifications?

But then in doing so I cannot claim five years work experience in a skilled role (having used those five years to be recognised as a skilled worker as mentioned in my previous sentence), effectively giving me nett zero points when it comes to work experience?

Correct, and correct.

There is another kind of visa which can lead on to residence, if you can get a job offer from an accredited employer.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa Again, if either of you got this kind of visa, the other could be sponsored for a visa as their partner, and would eventually get residence also, when the first partner qualified after at least two years.

In case you might want to do a recce trip in the hope of landing a job when in NZ face to face (always the easiest way), see here the BUNAC IEP visa https://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad...inclusions/iep, which is a working holiday visa available even to those who have previously had a NZ WHV, and up to age 35.

Thanks again!

We have both already done the WHV back in '13-14, hence our desire to head back! We have floated the idea of jumping on a plane at some point and having boots on the ground but unfortunately our ability to do that as a Working Holiday has sadly passed, having already done it.

The good news is that my wife still scores well to support us both for Residency but on a personal note, it is quite disappointing. Knowing my role is in demand but being held back by a lack of qualifications is frustrating, given that I don't need a qualification to do the job in the UK (nor NZ from a practical point of view I would think). However, I understand there needs to be a high barrier to entry.

I've had a look at the Accredited Employer information previously but will take another look, thanks!
    Last edited by adt1987; 26th November 2019 at 07:58 PM.

You haven't looked at that link - ! The point about the BUNAC IEP WHV is that you ARE allowed to do it when you've already had the NZ government's WHV. The boat hasn't sailed. You CAN have a second WHV.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You haven't looked at that link - ! The point about the BUNAC IEP WHV is that you ARE allowed to do it when you've already had the NZ government's WHV. The boat hasn't sailed. You CAN have a second WHV.
    Apologies, you're right, I overlooked the link to BUNAC. I'll definitely take a good look at that. We'd be very much looking to do the working part more than the holiday part this time around but I guess one is limited to how much time they can work on such a Visa. I'll dig into it

The advantage could be that if an accredited employer likes the look of you, you can start work straight away, then apply for the other visa.