Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 LastLast

Thread: Ombudsman complaint re: cherry-picking of SMC applications

I got the same response today and I hope it will be fruitful after waiting for month and months

Hello folks,

If anybody is still interested, I got a mail from the Ombudsman office today stating "A draft report for the Chief Ombudsman has been completed, and it is currently at peer review. I am away on leave next week and back on Monday 25 Jan. I hope the peer review will be done by then and we will be able to present the report to the Chief Ombudsman."

wonderful, can't wait to see what comes from it

got an email today

"Dear Mr Bamal
    Your complaint against Immigration New Zealand
    I refer to recent communications from Senior Investigator Hsu-Ee Khoo, about your complaint about Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
    I have now formed a provisional opinion on your complaint. I am providing INZ with an opportunity to comment before I decide whether to confirm my opinion as final. I will write to you again once I have received a response from INZ.
    I also comment on your concerns that INZ is under resourced and has made no effort to work more efficiently to clear the backlog.
    INZ’s resourcing
    The New Zealand Residence Programme (NZRP) sets out a range for the number of residence visas that can be approved within an 18-month period. The NZRP was set at 25,500 to 30,600 places for the Skilled/Business stream, in which the Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) is included. INZ is funded and resourced to meet the numbers as set out in the NZRP.
    The NZRP expired on 31 December 20219. However, with the agreement of the former Minister of Immigration, INZ has continued to process applications at that same level.
    I understand that the number of applications under in the Skilled/Business stream is greater than the number of people that can be granted residence under the NZRP. As a result, INZ’s focus is not on clearing the backlog, but to meet the NZRP planning range.
    It is important to note that the NZRP is set by Government, and not INZ. Any change in the numbers would be a Government decision. Government decisions are outside my jurisdiction, as an Ombudsman."

it's just another BS and below is my reply.

"Thank you for the update.

I have a question, why did INZ invite more people to apply for Residency when they didn't have enough slots for approval (they knew what was the range set by the Cabinet).

As far as I understand, no application is accepted by INZ unless an applicant has been issued a valid Invitation to apply (post-selection of Expression of Interest) and no one else sends that other than INZ.

So knowing they don't have enough slots for approval, why invite applications in the first place?.

And by the looks of this letter, I don't see any positive outcome.

Thanks for your help and support."

Gosh, INZ have had more "opportunities to comment" on this Ombudsman case than you can shake a stick at!

Keep us updated on any further comms you get about this, please.

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    Gosh, INZ have had more "opportunities to comment" on this Ombudsman case than you can shake a stick at!

Keep us updated on any further comms you get about this, please.
    I know, and to be honest, I don't think it will be any positive by the looks of it. It's just total waste of time and effort to write an email and follow up with them.

How could they just invite whatever number of people and then rob them with their money and no refund + make their life miserable by keeping their file in a giant pile of applications.

Has anyone had an update on the Ombudsman complaint? Might be worthwhile to alert the Ombudsman investigator that INZ have cited no movement in the main queue again last week due to priority applications exceeding the volume they can allocate from the main queue........

Quote Originally Posted by EGoodhue View Post
    Has anyone had an update on the Ombudsman complaint? Might be worthwhile to alert the Ombudsman investigator that INZ have cited no movement in the main queue again last week due to priority applications exceeding the volume they can allocate from the main queue........
    I have dropped a note now, thanks

Last i heard was a letter from Chief Ombudsman Peter Boshier on 28 January saying: "I have now formed a provisional opinion on your complaint. I am providing INZ with an opportunity to comment before I decide whether to confirm my opinion as final. I will write to you again once I have received a response from INZ."

INZ was supposed to reply on 26th Feb and now have been granted an extension up to 12th March

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 LastLast