Thread: Evidence that you meet the English language requirements OR pre-purchase English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)

Default Evidence that you meet the English language requirements OR pre-purchase English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)

Hi All,

In case for partner whose points are not claimed against employment/qualification then minimum English requirement is 5.0 over all band in IELTS or equivalent to other acceptable tests.

Seeking your advice that, in case we want to pay less amount against ESOL, then when IELTS must be submitted :

1. At the time of ITA docs submission
    2. Before Visa application is approved

In case, we submit an IELTS report at the time of ITA docs submission with 4.0 band , then we will have to pay equivalent tuition fee just before residency is approved. Can u provide another IELTS during this residency application progress to save as maximum as we can OR only one time allowed to submit English language exam result at the time of ITA docs submission.

Do we have an option to submit a revised test report later in case we have a better result after submission of ITA Docs.

Seeking your advice.........

Quote Originally Posted by aliahmed View Post
    Do we have an option to submit a revised test report later in case we have a better result after submission of ITA Docs.
    Yes, you can submit further information at any time before a final decision is made on your application, and immigration officers must take into account any relevant information you submit before a final decision is made. Also, the further information may relate to either the principal applicant or any dependent applicant on the application, and may relate to any matter relevant to the applicable immigration instructions. See R5.20.1.

Also, if INZ approves your application, you will be sent an "Approved in Principle" letter -- at this point, you must make the ESOL pre-payment and send INZ proof thereof for your Resident Visa to be granted (see R5.45). My educated guess is that, if you leave it for this stage, it will probably be too late, as by this stage a decision on your application has been made based on the evidence at hand.

Thanks for response..

Which stage you are talking about???

My educated guess is that, if you leave it for this stage, it will probably be too late, as by this stage a decision on your application has been made based on the evidence at hand.

I just want to know that still I haven't submitted ITA docs , hopefully in Mid Jan 2019 will submit all...So, we could submit a lower score result or even no score report..

So we will have time to provide another better result within atleast 3,4 months .....

Looking back to the beginning of that paragraph, he's talking about the stage when you get the Approved In Principle letter. He's saying, don't leave it till THEN, because it would most likely be too late. But if you put in an English language score which achieves the minimum result (or better) before then, you wouldn't have to pay the ESOL charge.

Thanks, JandM...

Due to some unavoidable circumstances, I am unable to provide IELTS while ITA Docs submission, but as you have explained we could gain time from today till next 3-4 months before decision is made ..

then before this stage, we could provide an acceptable exam result and either based on result , no need to pay ESOL or pay as per score.........

Please correct me if in case of any misunderstanding ? My concern now is to make sure that , we are not going to submit IELTS at the time of ITA Docs submission , then later we will provide in a timely manner to either pay as per score band or no need (subject to result) ...

That is correct. To begin with, you will say on the ITA that you are going to pay for ESOL, but when you have a suitable result in one of the tests, you will just inform INZ (and you won't have to pay after all). If the person hasn't managed to get the required level of result by the time the visa is approved, then they would have to pay for ESOL after all.

Incidentally, you have been mentioning IELTS all the time - notice that now there are other language tests also acceptable to INZ. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66778.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    That is correct. To begin with, you will say on the ITA that you are going to pay for ESOL, but when you have a suitable result in one of the tests, you will just inform INZ (and you won't have to pay after all). If the person hasn't managed to get the required level of result by the time the visa is approved, then they would have to pay for ESOL after all.

Incidentally, you have been mentioning IELTS all the time - notice that now there are other language tests also acceptable to INZ. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#66778.htm

Thanks, JandM.....Yes, Will proceed for IELTS or PTE ...

If the "unavoidable circumstances" that render you unable to submit IELTS results for your partner with the ITA is the fact that you cant get an IELTS appointment in time, maybe heed JandM's suggestion and have your partner take one of the other language tests instead? If this is the case, and you get a satisfactory English test result in time, you can submit that with your ITA and not worry about having to update INZ later.

My partner and I both went for the PTE Academic test instead of IELTS for this reason: we could get appointments for PTE Academic within 2 weeks (and the results around a week later), whereas the IELTS waiting list was 5 months. The one comment I have about PTE Academic is that the entire test is computerized, so it may not be the best option for someone who is somewhat computer illiterate.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 5th December 2019 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    If the "unavoidable circumstances" that render you unable to submit IELTS results for your partner with the ITA is the fact that you cant get an IELTS appointment in time, maybe heed JandM's suggestion and have your partner take one of the other language tests instead? If this is the case, and you get a satisfactory English test result in time, you can submit that with your ITA and not worry about having to update INZ later.

My partner and I both went for the PTE Academic test instead of IELTS for this reason: we could get appointments for PTE Academic within 2 weeks (and the results around a week later), whereas the IELTS waiting list was 5 months. The one comment I have about PTE Academic is that the entire test is computerized, so it may not be the best option for someone who is somewhat computer illiterate.

Thanks Kelerei,

You are right PTE is not appropriate for computer illiterate persons.

I will provide one acceptable exam at the time of ITA docs submission , then later will shared update one above minimum English standard ...

Thanks again for your valuable response.