Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigration Quota talks begin

Default Immigration Quota talks begin

Hi All,

The election year is here now, and the discussion on quota has begun...
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...dency-decision

I expect that the government will come up with increased points and salary for general category that are not in skill shortage list.

Our life is in limbo.

Happy Reading !!

So cat is about to come out😄. Whatever it may be, at least we ll be out of this hide and seek game.

This is really a do or die moment for Labour. Part of their campaign platform was reducing immigration, and to date they have not done much in that regard. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq Shahzad View Post
    So cat is about to come out��. Whatever it may be, at least we ll be out of this hide and seek game.
    Should not be a problem for those who are lodged their application already? It might take a while to get processed, say 18-24 months, but it has to happen.

Might be a problem for those who are waiting to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by areddy View Post
    Should not be a problem for those who are lodged their application already? It might take a while to get processed, say 18-24 months, but it has to happen.

Might be a problem for those who are waiting to apply.
    Timeframe is still a big problem esp. when visa is expiring. Remember new rule comes in with employer required to be accredited. People like me who are in post study work visa and employer not willing to get accredited (just for me), there won't be any choice left than to leave country.

Quote Originally Posted by VedSaumya View Post
    Timeframe is still a big problem esp. when visa is expiring. Remember new rule comes in with employer required to be accredited. People like me who are in post study work visa and employer not willing to get accredited (just for me), there won't be any choice left than to leave country.
    In that case, would you be able to change your application to an application with a job offer (instead of currently working in nz), while waiting overseas for the visa to be approved?

Do you guys think that our stalled applications will start moving after govt takes some fresh decision? How long can they hold it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq Shahzad View Post
    Do you guys think that our stalled applications will start moving after govt takes some fresh decision? How long can they hold it?
    It's hard to say. If they release the applications seemingly in limbo next year's quota will be almost full before the years begun. Its a royal mess of their own making. They need to sort the pool getting bigger out. If they want to reduce numbers they must do it at EOI stage, it's the only fair place to do it and is kind of the point of that step instead if just having a free for all.

I definitely don't see the resident quota going up: Labour campaigned on reducing immigrant numbers, and Whiskey Peters will want to reduce it way more than Labour themselves would like to. It's either staying the same, or going down -- and most likely, going down.

My predictions for SMC for the near future:

• The EOI pool is closed for the entirety of 2020. No new EOI's are accepted into the pool, and no draws are made from the pool. Those in the EOI pool and that have not been drawn from it are refunded the EOI fee.
    • Those who have had their EOI selected (obviously, including those who have received their ITA and/or lodged their formal application) will make up the 2020 SMC residence quota, and their applications will be processed as per the immigration instructions applicable on the day their EOI was selected. In other words, nothing changes for them, apart from the fact that their applications languishing in the case officer queue will (finally!) be processed.
    • Once the ITA queue has shrunk far enough (in 2021), the EOI pool reopens, but with far more stringent and difficult criteria for EOI selection than is currently the case (read: harder to get points and/or more points required).

Of course, these are just predictions and guesswork on my part, but I believe this to be a totally plausible outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast