Thread: Partner Residency Visa - timeline for partnership duration

Default Partner Residency Visa - timeline for partnership duration

Hi all,

If there is already a thread about this, can you please redirect me? I could not find exactly this question:

My partner and I met in NZ in March 2019. During that time I was on a visitor visa and extended this visa for another three months. Afterwards I got on a Partner Work Visa, which is valid until mid-July.

I would like to apply for Partner Residency, BUT:

We will only have 1 full year of being and living together in early March, not yet at this time (December).

However the application time stated on the website currently states 9 months.

There is no Interim Visa for a Residency Visa.

If I apply now I will have at least 7.5 months left for the visa to get approved, which is more realistic than applying in March and having only 4.5 months left for approval.

Does anyone know whether it is a problem to apply for the visa before you have already reached the 12 months of being/living together? Did anyone get denied because of this? If I apply in January we would reach the 12 months withing the first 2 months of waiting for the visa.

I would really like to skil the 2nd Partner Work Visa and go straight for Residency.

Any experience would be highly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Does anyone know whether it is a problem to apply for the visa before you have already reached the 12 months of being/living together? Did anyone get denied because of this? If I apply in January we would reach the 12 months withing the first 2 months of waiting for the visa.
    As per F2.5(d)(iii), this is guaranteed to result in your application being denied. You and your partner must have lived together for 12 months or more at the time that you lodge your application; processing time is not factored into this. Do not expect INZ to make any exception to this.

If you end up in a situation where your Work Visa will expire before a decision is made on your Resident Visa, your only options are to apply for a further Work Visa (which will bring interim visas into play, see I1.5) or leave the country.

Thank you very much The work visa it has to be then. Bummer! No chance to get the Residency through in such short time I guess.

https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55547&page=6

that's the latest/recent thread of some one who made such mistake so
    yea it's not advisable as it will be declined.

Whenever anyone submits ANY application to INZ, the important thing to remember is that the submission is a legal document, and by sending it in, the applicant is in effect stating that everything on it IS the truth. So if you're saying you've been living with a partner for 12 months, that means yes, you have, right then, not yes, you WILL HAVE DONE, you hope, by the time a CO looks at your case. If you're saying you have a degree in (whatever), that means NOW, not you will have, all being well, after the results of your finals come out in three months' time. These hopeful advances on reality are actually lies, to be blunt, and INZ can regard them as fraud, which can impact on all future applications for visas to any country.

Only you have been living together for 12 months, that can make you eligible for the Partnership residency visa.
    https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55218
    Think about it, if you get your work one approved very soon, then you don't need to worry about your residency one.