Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partnership Residency Visa - Living Together Requirement

Default Partnership Residency Visa - Living Together Requirement

Hi all, I am aware there are alot of threads based on Partnership Residency Visas, but these seem to be focused on the wait times and do not want to add this qs in under these threads incase I cause confusion.

My partner (nz permanent resident) and I have previously secured a 2 year Partnership Work Visa, at the time of applying for the partnership work visa, we were house sharing (sharing one room together) but sharing with two other flatmates .
    We had intentions once we had secured the Partnership Work Visa that we would get our own rented place - just the two of us, but affording/finding this is not looking likely before we would apply for A Partnership Residency Visa.

My qs is - is it possible to still secure a Partnership Residency Visa if we are still house sharing (sharing one room together) , it will be the same address we lived in while applying for the Partnership Work Visa. We have ticked every other box in the residency application including shared finances, post addressed to us, leisure time and so on. Its just does still house sharing with others look funny? Sorry this qs may sound ridiculous to others!

I can't say whether or not this will be problematic, but there's two things I can mention:

• Take a look at F2.20.15 to see what INZ is generally looking for when it comes to evidence that the pair of you are living together in a partnership that is genuine and stable. The list in the operational manual doesn't include everything that may be acceptable (the wording is "... may include but is not limited to..."), but my experience with partnership matters (in my case, including a partner on my SMC application) is that the more evidence that can be provided, the better. You may be able to provide sufficient evidence in other areas and aspects of your relationship to negate any misgivings on INZ's part, and from my experiences (and those of others shared here), should be aiming to do just that.
    • If you get your own rented place while your application is being processed, you are obliged to inform INZ (as this is a material change in circumstances that may affect the decision on your application); see R5.20.1. The penalty for not doing so can, in the worst case, result in you being made liable for deportation.

Personally, I believe that a reasonable case officer would not find much problem with house sharing arrangements, especially if all your evidence with respect to F2.20 is rock solid -- but one gets the impression in the current political and anti-immigration climate that INZ will be looking for the slightest excuse to decline or delay applications (see this recent RNZ article to see what I'm on about). It's up to you (or your LIA) to build as solid a case as you can.

Remember, there are four guiding principles when it comes to dealing with INZ:

1. Assume nothing about your eligibility.
    2. Just when you know the rules, your application will be processed by a moron who doesn't.
    3. Suspend all logical thought (see point 2).
    4. Treat with great caution what ones finds on INZ's website and the operational manual (see point 2).
    Last edited by Kelerei; 10th December 2019 at 11:30 AM.

All that said and agreed, so as to be a bit optimistic, I would add that it's also correct that others before you HAVE been granted partner-sponsored residence when living in a house-share, or even in one partner's family home. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    All that said and agreed, so as to be a bit optimistic, I would add that it's also correct that others before you HAVE been granted partner-sponsored residence when living in a house-share, or even in one partner's family home. Good luck.
    @JandM, sorry it's me again. if my partner owns the home and im moving in with him, would a relationships property agreement in lieu of a rental agreement suffice? or does it hold no bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by charcharbinks View Post
    if my partner owns the home and im moving in with him, would a relationships property agreement in lieu of a rental agreement suffice? or does it hold no bearing?
    I moved into a home my partner owns, and we did not do anything in lieu of a rental agreement. No problems getting a visa. A rental agreement with both of your names on it is just one of the ways to show a genuine and stable relationship. If you have all or most of the others, you should be fine.

I agree with TheNewKiwi.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKiwi View Post
    I moved into a home my partner owns, and we did not do anything in lieu of a rental agreement. No problems getting a visa. A rental agreement with both of your names on it is just one of the ways to show a genuine and stable relationship. If you have all or most of the others, you should be fine.
    Awesome, ill just go with the usual utility bills addressed to both of us then. Thanks much!

Thank you Kelerei ans JandM! Very much appreciate your response

Look here https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5 for old forum threads with discussion of and examples of what people have used to prove partnership.

Very much appreciated JandM ☺️

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast