Thread: Second Job Visa VOC

Default Second Job Visa VOC

Hi all,

I was just thinking of getting a second job.

I have a temporary work visa which is valid till December next year. Tied to a specific employer, in a specific role in a specific place.

I saw that we can apply for a visa for second job with VOC.

Source: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ary-employment

The second job would be on the Skill shortage list, but with a small but growing company.

while my primary job is not on Skill shortage list, it is with an accredited employer. I've applied for residency under SMC based on this Job.

I request your inputs on this situation. Any information on Secondary Employment visa by members of the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards.
    Last edited by ag; 14th December 2019 at 08:38 AM.

INZ look at the details of what you are wanting to do, to make sure that the second job will not stop you doing properly the main job that you were originally given the visa for - for instance, that you're not intending to work long hours at night, which would mean you would be too tired to do your day job properly. They will also check that your main employer doesn't have legitimate objections to what you want to do, for instance to work for one of their competitors, possibly taking some of their clients away.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    INZ look at the details of what you are wanting to do, to make sure that the second job will not stop you doing properly the main job that you were originally given the visa for - for instance, that you're not intending to work long hours at night, which would mean you would be too tired to do your day job properly. They will also check that your main employer doesn't have legitimate objections to what you want to do, for instance to work for one of their competitors, possibly taking some of their clients away.
    Thanks for the information JandM.

Regarding the first point: I believe my employer would offer flexible working hours, and maybe reduce the hours from 40-43 to 30-35 and the second job is going to be around 25-30 hours per week, which includes a weekend.

The second point should not be a problem, as they are in different fields. The first company is a huge utility maintenance contractor while the second one is a small builder. There will not be any conflict of interest afaik.

Hi there,
    I had a similar question. I am currently working for an employer on a post-study work visa (not tied to any employer). I have applied for SMC category resident visa in Jan 2020 and waiting for CO. Using my skill set I have the capacity to work part-time for COVID-19 affected businesses (freelancing work up to 10 hours). The INZ website says the second job is possible https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ary-employment

My doubts are;
    1. Do I need to apply for variations of conditions (it's not tied to any employer. It's freelance work)?
    2.Will any of these affect my SMC application?

This https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...elf-employment appears to say that doing some freelance work may be possible - check your own visa for conditions.

For your residence application under SMC to continue being processed, you must continue to be employed full-time (at least 30 hpw) in a skilled job as proved on the application - self-employment alone does not count for this purpose.