Thread: Culturally arranged marriage visa questions

Default Culturally arranged marriage visa questions

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is applying for a culturally arranged marriage visa

My friend went overseas to have a culturally arranged marriage. Now that the rules for the visa has changed she is planning on applying for it rather than a general visit visa for her husband.

One of the requirements is “ If you get married outside New Zealand you must apply for your visa within 3 months of your wedding.”

What does it mean by “within 3 months of your wedding?”

Does it imply that you must apply for the visa BEFORE getting married overseas? Or can you apply after getting married?

The reason I ask this is because as my friend was filling out the online form the questions on there does not give the option if the marriage had already taken place. All questions are about when the wedding will take place (see attachment)

c1804e0d-d8c2-4afe-b14c-0dc224e36a3e.jpg

Could not attach this in original post

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46505.htm See V3.35.1 b.

As it says, "Where an applicant has married before travelling to New Zealand, immigration officers must establish (through interview and/or documentary evidence), and be satisfied that..." (my bolding), then section v below that adds, "the application is made within 3 months of the wedding," this makes it clear that, in your friend's case, her husband should be applying AFTER the wedding.

Thank you JandM for that clarification

On the online form as well as the physical form, all the questions about the arranged marriage are about a "future" marriage, not a marriage that happened already. What do you think she should do regarding these questions (see attached pic) when answering them? I think INZ has not updated the forms yet since the change? Is there a way to let INZ know about this? Still not sure if this form is yet to be updated or if it's meant to be like that...a450d5e4-6014-47d5-a1ac-93f397a31d7d.jpg

It looks to me as though you're right that the forms are from before the (very recent) change in regulations. It would be possible to contact INZ to ask for suggestions, but, to try to get things moving more quickly than doing that and waiting for a reply, in her place, I think I would write on the form in that area, 'See attached note,' and then write that I assumed this is an old form, and here are my answers in line with the present, new, regulations. I would also ask INZ to inform me if they need any different information. Notice, that's just my personal opinion as a lay person, nothing official. She will have to decide what to do about it.

Thank you JandM. Ive been meaning to reply with an update but got caught in our own residency application. I called inz on her behalfbb So basically the lady i talked to on the phone said it doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no to those questions. She said when you upload your evidence the branch processing your application will see the wedding happened already. She aaid it doesnt affect your application if you answer the questions the way she already did. To avoid any misunderstanding anyway you can just write in your “cover letter” that you answered those questions based on your circumstances (that you are already married and are applying within instructions available on immigration nzs website)

Based on this reply i dont think they intend on updating those online forms just yet.

My friend now has another question. She is wondering if her partner has to provide evidence that he is a “bona fide” visitor as at the end of the day it is a visitor visa and one of the requirements on the inz website is that. Does this mean that he has to provide things like education history, job, assets, family ties etc? How would he go about explaining that he is bona fide? I would have thought he’s bona fide by coming to nz to live with his partner. All very confusing

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife95 View Post
    Thank you JandM. Ive been meaning to reply with an update but got caught in our own residency application. I called inz on her behalfbb So basically the lady i talked to on the phone said it doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no to those questions. She said when you upload your evidence the branch processing your application will see the wedding happened already. She aaid it doesnt affect your application if you answer the questions the way she already did. To avoid any misunderstanding anyway you can just write in your “cover letter” that you answered those questions based on your circumstances (that you are already married and are applying within instructions available on immigration nzs website)

Based on this reply i dont think they intend on updating those online forms just yet.

My friend now has another question. She is wondering if her partner has to provide evidence that he is a “bona fide” visitor as at the end of the day it is a visitor visa and one of the requirements on the inz website is that. Does this mean that he has to provide things like education history, job, assets, family ties etc? How would he go about explaining that he is bona fide? I would have thought he’s bona fide by coming to nz to live with his partner. All very confusing
    I have the same question! How to prove that you are a bona fide visitor? Also, what to answer when it asks, how long do you intend to stay in NZ?