Thread: Speeding fine

Default Speeding fine

Hey!! I’ve just got a speeding fine.. does anyone know if I need to inform immigration?? I’m currently waiting for my residency application to be granted!!

Was this a roadside ticket, either from a police officer or a speed camera?

Yes, I got pulled over by the police and they said I’ll receive my ticket in the post

Then that is an infringement, not an offence (for which you would have to have been convicted in court). As long as you pay the fine promptly, this incident will be a paid infringement, which won't have any bearing on your application. Once you have paid, for the sake of showing complete honesty, you can tell INZ that you have this paid infringement.

Be aware, the NZ police enforce road rules very strictly. If you were to be caught again, they could not deal with it on the spot like they have this time - the case would have to go to court, and the outcome would then count as an offence, which COULD (depending on the exact nature of it) affect your residence application.

Thank you

hi JandM, i got a infringement offence just before xmas for passing red light (caught on camera) and have already paid it. i'm still waiting for 2PC (been waiting for nearly 4 weeks) on my residence application. will this affect my application? thank you very much

As mentioned above, any incident dealt with at the roadside, either by police who stopped you, or by an automatic response from a traffic camera, does not count as an offence - those are known as infringements. It's only offences (meaning that the person has been taken to court and convicted) which can go against a visa being granted. See paragraphs f and h here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#35058.htm