Thread: I applied for renting a house. If landlord choose me. Can I change my mind?

Default I applied for renting a house. If landlord choose me. Can I change my mind?

Hi

I'm on the process of choosing a house to rent. I now looked into 6-7 places and found 2 that interested me and I applied for them. One of the landlord says I'm in the last process and he just want to check the last one of my references. My question is, if he choose me, how long can I wait until answering to him? Can I wait for a week just to get an answer from the second application?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralAK View Post
    Hi

I'm on the process of choosing a house to rent. I now looked into 6-7 places and found 2 that interested me and I applied for them. One of the landlord says I'm in the last process and he just want to check the last one of my references. My question is, if he choose me, how long can I wait until answering to him? Can I wait for a week just to get an answer from the second application?
    I've rented a lot of places in Auckland in the past, and in my experience they usually want an answer within a few days at the most. It totally depends on where you are. If the demand isn't as high then I imagine you may be able to wait a week – but I don't think any Auckland landlord will wait that long if that's where you're looking. If you wait too long you may lose out on both places. In short, it depends on the landlord.

You need to be very quick when renting, the demand far outweighs the supply at the moment in Auckland. We rent out 2 apartments in Auckland and we re rented one just before
    Christmas and we had 37 applicants.Landlords can be really choosy over who they rent to plus colleges/unis all go back Feb/March time so you cannot be too select when it comes if you have been offered a place, that's not to say you should accept a dump just be aware that there are many others after the same property. Not just in Auckland