Thread: SMC - Work Experience Points Claim

Default SMC - Work Experience Points Claim

Hi everyone, I have one doubt regarding the Work Experience points claim, does the Work Experience has to be after I graduated? Because I have almost 3 years of Software Developer experience before I finished my Graduation, am I able to claim those points?

To prove my work experience I basically have a letter from previous employer stating the dates, work hours and what I did at the job, would that be enough?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ricardolb View Post
    Hi everyone, I have one doubt regarding the Work Experience points claim, does the Work Experience has to be after I graduated? Because I have almost 3 years of Software Developer experience before I finished my Graduation, am I able to claim those points?
    Yes. You need to prove that you are suitably qualified for that work prior to the work experience for which points are claimed (see SM7.10), so you cannot count work experience prior to your graduation (EDIT: unless you are suitably qualified through prior work experience; see SM7.10.15 and the example provided therein).

Quote Originally Posted by ricardolb View Post
    To prove my work experience I basically have a letter from previous employer stating the dates, work hours and what I did at the job, would that be enough?
    I went back and reviewed old communications from my LIA. The references you obtain should cover or include the following points:

• Be written on official company letterhead,
    • Contain the name, address and contact details of the employer,
    • Confirm the position(s) you held,
    • Confirm the dates of your employment, including day, month and year for both start and end dates,
    • Contain a description of the duties you completed for each position (perhaps the six major tasks),
    • Confirm that your employment was full time (more than 30 hours per week)

I was also warned that (for South Africa anyway, your mileage may vary here), INZ are increasingly demanding copies of tax returns as well, and was also informed that that it would be advantageous to additionally provide INZ with copies of the relevant employment contracts (if you still have them).
    Last edited by Kelerei; 14th January 2020 at 07:40 AM.

Great, thanks Kelerei!