Thread: Work or Skilled Migrant Visa related query

Default Work or Skilled Migrant Visa related query

Asking on behalf of a friend: does anyone know if Ayurvedic doctor (I think it comes under Naturopath) can apply for work or residency visa under skilled migrant category. One of my friend has completed BAMS from India and also completed Masters in Hospital Administration. She is currently working in one of the best hospitals in India. Any assistance on this query will be much appreciated. Thanks.

I can't tell you directly (partly because I'm not a licensed immigration advisor, and partly because I have no idea what an "Ayurvedic doctor" is), but I can tell you how to find out yourself...

Take a look at the ANZSCO list, and find the ANZSCO code and job description that substantially matches what your friend does (evidence on this forum suggests an 80% match will be required). Once you've done that, you can take a look at SM6 and SM7 to get an idea how INZ will assess this against criteria for skilled employment and skilled work experience respectively for the Skilled Migrant Category.

ANZSCO is currently also used to determine the skill band for Work Visas issued under Essential Skills work instructions (see WK3.5), and if the ANSZCO code is listed on the Long Term Skills Shortage List, a Work Visa may instead be applied for and granted under Long Term Skill Shortage List instructions (WR3) which would then open up the possibility of gaining a Resident Visa under the Residence from Work category (RW4) as an alternative to the Skilled Migrant Category. Note that this is all about to drastically change with the proposed Work Visa changes.

Note that INZ still uses version 1.2 of the ANSZCO list for most occupations. ANZSCO was recently updated and some occupations that were skill level 4 or 5 are now skill level 1 to 3 in the updated version. If your friend is paid at least NZD $25 per hour for one of these occupations, INZ will treat it as an exception and assess it as ANZSCO skill level 1, 2 or 3. Here's a full list of ANZSCO occupations currently treated as an exception.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 14th January 2020 at 09:35 AM.

https://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/naturopath/ This page specifically says a residence visa under SMC is possible "if you have enough points and meet the requirements".

This page https://ncnz.co.nz/faq-items/can-i-b...f-naturopaths/ states, "Naturopaths are not regulated or licensed in NZ, so membership with a society is a recommendation not a requirement." ANZSCO only says that registration or licensing may be required, but apparently, it is not.

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate your assistance