Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Distance Relationship... What to do???

The situation around visas for foreign partners altered considerably towards the end of last year. Even before that, it was hardly ever as easy as it seems to have been for you, Babaloni - I think you just have to count yourself very lucky.

Oh I am sorry, i did not know that and do feel very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    All the messages, calls, and your previous visits (while you still both had your own, separate, homes) will not count at all towards proving partnership. Like I said above, what you SAY about how you feel and what you intend cannot be considered by INZ, as their instructions are to look for evidence that a couple has a live-in relationship. See the link in my post above. All your back-story may be useful as part of the time-line of your relationship if you eventually apply for a partner-sponsored visa - a kind of "how come this person thought she would move in with me" - but it ISN'T partnership in INZ's terms.
    I was under the same impression that evidence from before a partner moved to NZ wasn't really relevant, so we never included it in my partner's residency application. But when the case officer processed my partner's application, they contacted us and said that it was considered time living apart and we needed to provide evidence to show how we maintained our long distance relationship from the date we said it began in our cover letter (which was 5 years before my partner actually moved to NZ). I didn't bother querying the point as we had the evidence to provide (we provided a couple of pieces of evidence for each month over the 5 years, such as texts, photos of joint holidays etc) and our application was approved after that. But I always wondered if our case officer was interpreting that rule correctly, as I thought it only meant if you had spent time apart, after your partner had moved to NZ and you started living together. So I guess it doesn't hurt to keep that evidence either, as it might be needed.

The way different COs work does seem to vary. Looking at the rules, though, there shouldn't be consideration of time spent living apart unless the partners can prove that they DID live together for at least several months some time in the past, with neither of them having a separate home at the time. But proof of keeping in contact can show the emotional relationship has been building for some while.

Hi Kiwipom,

Me and my partner have very similar situations. She ended up coming to the country twice (she's from visa waiver country that allow her to stay 3 months each time).

One the 1st visit, we spent 3 months living together, then she flew home for 4 weeks, and I flew over to meet her parents, before we flew back together on her 2nd visitor Visa. Shortly after that we lodge her Partnership Work Visa application.

That is back in November 2019, we'd received reply from immigration officer last week, asking for more evidences of our relationship, and that should be the last submission before decision is made (according to our LIA).

Long story short, we've known each other for 2 years, 18months in a relationship (first 12 months long distance), did 3 trips together (approx 5 weeks all up) before living together. Therefore when we lodge the application we would have lived together for 3 months, but would be close to 6 months now while waiting for the decision.

My personal opinion is, there is definitely no "sure win" method.

However, plenty of reading and researches (particularly here on ENZ) would be very useful before she make the move to come over. Just to have a rough idea what kind of evidence you need to gather to proof the "living together" and "genuine and stable relationship"

It's not an easy journey and nothing is 100% guaranteed. Good luck and all the best.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123