Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa for partner

Default Visa for partner

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying visa for my partner. However there few things I am not sure about.

I got married in India in 2019, spent some time with my partner and family and came back to NZ for work.

I applied for her visitor visa twice and it was declined. The reason that was given was 'you have not demonstrated that you are a bona fide visitor to New Zealand.'

We are now again planning to apply for a visitor visa. Or thinking of applying for a student visa.

Que - Considering I apply for a visitor visa, gets approved, my partner comes here, then which visa should I apply ?? Because visitor visa is for short duration, and I want to gather documents for 12 months. Therefore which visa should I go for if visitor visa gets approval

Option 2 - Apply for a student visa. Can this be considered?

FYI - I am a NZ permanent resident

Request for assistance.

Regards

If your marriage was culturally arranged, you may want to investigate if the Culturally Arranged Marriage Visitor Visa matches your circumstances. Otherwise, you may want to investigate the Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa (since you mentioned time spent living together, which is a requirement of this visa -- see V3.15).

A Student Visa will generally only be considered if your partner intends to study in New Zealand, and has been offered a place in a course of study with a New Zealand education provider (U3.1).

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    If your marriage was culturally arranged, you may want to investigate if the Culturally Arranged Marriage Visitor Visa matches your circumstances. Otherwise, you may want to investigate the Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa (since you mentioned time spent living together, which is a requirement of this visa -- see V3.15).

A Student Visa will generally only be considered if your partner intends to study in New Zealand, and has been offered a place in a course of study with a New Zealand education provider (U3.1).
    Hi Kelerei,

Thanks for the reply.

We don't qualify for Culturally arranged visa, I checked this with immigration. And also for partner of a kiwi visa, we only lived together for 3 weeks, so don't qualify for it.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Garden365365 View Post
    Hi all,

I am in the process of applying visa for my partner. However there few things I am not sure about.

I got married in India in 2019, spent some time with my partner and family and came back to NZ for work.

I applied for her visitor visa twice and it was declined. The reason that was given was 'you have not demonstrated that you are a bona fide visitor to New Zealand.'

We are now again planning to apply for a visitor visa. Or thinking of applying for a student visa.

Que - Considering I apply for a visitor visa, gets approved, my partner comes here, then which visa should I apply ?? Because visitor visa is for short duration, and I want to gather documents for 12 months. Therefore which visa should I go for if visitor visa gets approval

Request for assistance.

Regards

So you applied for General Visitor Visa or Partnership Visiting Visa ?

Hi all,

Request for assistance.

Regards

I am also in the same situation , only difference is that I am in 3 year work visa.

This is the response I received from INZ upon my query :

As you have only lived together 20 days your partner is highly unlikely to be eligible for a partnership visa (PVV). She may however apply for a general visitor visa (GVV) to come to New Zealand and upon gathering evidence of living together in a genuine and stable relationship in New Zealand apply for a partnership visa (either work or visitor). Only one visa can be considered by immigration at a time, please do not apply for a PVV until your partner is eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by cijoc View Post
    I am also in the same situation , only difference is that I am in 3 year work visa.

This is the response I received from INZ upon my query :

As you have only lived together 20 days your partner is highly unlikely to be eligible for a partnership visa (PVV). She may however apply for a general visitor visa (GVV) to come to New Zealand and upon gathering evidence of living together in a genuine and stable relationship in New Zealand apply for a partnership visa (either work or visitor). Only one visa can be considered by immigration at a time, please do not apply for a PVV until your partner is eligible.
    Hi, I had selected visitor visa from the 'partner or child' button on the home screen.

Hi Jandm,

May I request for your guidance please.

Regards

I think the General Visitor's Visa is your only option, unless, as Kelerei has said above, your partner has been offered a place in a course of study with a New Zealand education provider. See under the heading Offer of place here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria

As you will see here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...nged-marriages the way INZ deals with people in your situation is being rethought at the moment, including a different way of assessing applications, and the possibility that they will contact some applicants who have previously been declined, so it looks as though there may be a better chance of getting a visa now than there has been in the recent past.

If your partner is granted a three-month visitor's visa for the specific purpose of gathering evidence of partnership, you will need immediately to start collecting evidence of living together, then, when you have around two months' GOOD evidence, to apply FIRST for a Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders (See all the tabs on that link for more information.)

Once she has applied for that, she will be granted an Interim visa to keep her legally in NZ while the application is processed.

Once the visa is granted, it will be for 12 months. Keep all the evidence from when she first arrived, and keep collecting more, as this will all add up to 12 months' evidence well before the Work visa expires, and that is the 12 months' evidence you need in order to apply for a Partner of a New Zealander Residence Visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

It is quite likely that she will need to apply for another Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa while waiting for residence to be granted, given the present long processing times. An Interim visa can ONLY be issued when a person has applied for a temporary visa of some kind, and NOT for residence.

Hi JandM,

Thank you so much for your reply.

'I think the General Visitor's Visa is your only option, unless, as Kelerei has said above, your partner has been offered a place in a course of study with a New Zealand education provider. See under the heading Offer of place here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-visa#criteria'

Yes, we have applied for a General Visitor visa for now and preparing for the student visa if required.

If your partner is granted a three-month visitor's visa for the specific purpose of gathering evidence of partnership, you will need immediately to start collecting evidence of living together, then, when you have around two months' GOOD evidence, to apply FIRST for a Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...s-visa-holders (See all the tabs on that link for more information.)

Is the 3 months evidence enough? As I remember seeing partnership proof is required for 12 months minimum? Also, I am a resident so I guess this link is for the work visa holders. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Yes, we have applied for a General Visitor visa for now and preparing for the student visa if required.
    As per previous posts, a Student Visa is generally only an option if your partner has been offered a place in a course of study with a New Zealand education provider (again, U3.1 in the operational manual). If this is not the case, the Student Visa application will, in all probability, be unsuccessful. The one exception that I am aware of (there may be others in more obscure categories) is the Dependent Child Student Visa.

A "Partner of a New Zealander Student Visa" does not exist (U8.1 implies that this previously existed but was discontinued in November 2012), and I would make an educated guess that it's for this reason: one generally needs a place in a course of study for a Student Visa.

Is the 3 months evidence enough? As I remember seeing partnership proof is required for 12 months minimum? Also, I am a resident so I guess this link is for the work visa holders. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    The requirement for a minimum of 12 months of living together is for the Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa (and it's an absolute minimum requirement for this visa; see F2.5).

There is no minimum period of living together explicitly mentioned in the applicable immigration instructions for the Partner of a New Zealander Visitor Visa or the Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa; see V3.15 and WF2 respectively, which both link to relevant information in E4.5). There is, however, a requirement that a Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa application can be supported (and thus made) within 12 months (E4.5.5(c)(v)); this effectively means that one is unlikely to get a Partner of a New Zealander Visitor/Work Visa without some evidence of living together (since 12 months evidence of living together is a minimum requirement for the Resident Visa, it's simply impossible to meet this requirement for the temporary class visa if you and your partner aren't already living together). From other people sharing their experiences of this forum, it appears that 2-3 months will be required for INZ to seriously consider these applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast