Thread: Looking for advice from a web developer/IT professional

Default Looking for advice from a web developer/IT professional

Hello,

I posted previously on this forum a couple of months ago detailing my situation and seeking clarification on our Visa options. https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56117

We're both 32, my wife and me. I am a web developer, specifically front-end. We live and work in the UK. I have 5 years professional agency experience.

In my previous post, linked above, I explain that I have no formal qualifications in my career. This has never impeded me in the UK, as any fellow web developer will know, formal education and qualifications is by no means a necessity for this role. I am self-taught like many of my current and former colleagues. Even colleagues have said that university and degrees that came with it did not really cover web development in the capacity needed to do the job we do, though I don't at all doubt the usefulness of going to university to help with this career.

The purpose of this post is to try and understand, from an employers perspective, how much of a hinderence, if any, a lack of formal qualifications is going to be for me trying to seek a job as a front-end developer in New Zealand. Clearly immigration rules mean that having a degree would help massively and while I respect having a high barrier to entry for any immigration is important, it also feels unhelpful and unnecessary given that web development is listed as a LTSS! So from a practical perspective, given my five years experience in the UK, how much can I expect a lack for qualifications to be an impediment trying to work in NZ? Any other web developers out there who have successfully made the move to NZ without the qualifications? Just generally looking for a bit of guidance from anyone willing to share

Thank you.

Hi there! This was exactly my husband's experience before he moved to NZ in 2012. Front end developer, five years experience with no degree in that field - he had a degree in music! He came on a working holiday visa, found work quickly and then progressed to a work visa. He gained residency in 2014 after a processing time of 4 months (it was a bit quicker back then ha). He is now a citizen. He has never struggled with employment over here as good developers are rather hard to find. I believe 5 years experience is equal to a degree in the eyes of INZ but double check the ANZCO listing to see what the requirements are.

Thanks for the reply! Both myself and my wife have been on the WHV scheme back in '13-14 - we had a great time, hence wanting to come back! I was looking into what you mentioned about five years experience some time back. This is my understanding too, and while it's true, it's still not quite the same as a degree - as you then can't claim for the work experience. So though I have five years experience, all of those five years are used by to award points via ANZSCO but I can't then use the same five years as 'work experience' - so I miss out on those points. Crucially that puts me under the 160 point threshold for any serious Residency consideration, at least on paper. That said, my wife does score over 160 as she has both work experience and a relevant degree. Ideally I'd like us both to have that luxury of 160 points as it means it gives us more flexibility and opportunities not just immediately seeking work but more importantly longer term for residency. My first message on this post links to another post that explains this in more depth.

I'm curious as to how your husband managed to work towards residency with regards to points and skill recognition without the relevant degree etc - would you mind sharing that information if you've got the time please?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

At least the door isn't closed on you while your wife is eligible. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by adt1987 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Both myself and my wife have been on the WHV scheme back in '13-14 - we had a great time, hence wanting to come back! I was looking into what you mentioned about five years experience some time back. This is my understanding too, and while it's true, it's still not quite the same as a degree - as you then can't claim for the work experience. So though I have five years experience, all of those five years are used by to award points via ANZSCO but I can't then use the same five years as 'work experience' - so I miss out on those points. Crucially that puts me under the 160 point threshold for any serious Residency consideration, at least on paper. That said, my wife does score over 160 as she has both work experience and a relevant degree. Ideally I'd like us both to have that luxury of 160 points as it means it gives us more flexibility and opportunities not just immediately seeking work but more importantly longer term for residency. My first message on this post links to another post that explains this in more depth.

I'm curious as to how your husband managed to work towards residency with regards to points and skill recognition without the relevant degree etc - would you mind sharing that information if you've got the time please?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply
    He claimed points for:

- Working in skilled employment in NZ
    - 2 years work experience in NZ
    - His BA in Music Technology/Production
    - 7 years experience in Web Development (2 years in NZ)
    - LTSSL occupation
    - Under 55 years old

I believe the points threshold was 130-140 back then. Hope this helps

Thank you again (and thanks to your husband presumably!).

Yes, the point threshold was lower back then. Seems that the points from the music degree really helped as well.

Thank you again (and thanks to your husband presumably!).

Yes, the point threshold was lower back then. Seems that the points from the music degree really helped as well.
    His degree did give him 50pts I believe. Do you have any other qualifications? Even if they're not a degree, they still can count towards points. My sister did this with her SMC in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPizza View Post
    His degree did give him 50pts I believe. Do you have any other qualifications? Even if they're not a degree, they still can count towards points. My sister did this with her SMC in 2014.
    50pts sounds about right based on my findings. No degree level qualifications, my highest qualifications (albeit poor) are A2 level (UK) so nothing worth any points AFAIK. Might be worth a look but nothing I've seen suggests they would be much use to me points-wise

It's frustrating that my work experience doesn't count for more than it does really, given that I'm capable of doing the job to a high degree in the UK and it's on the LTSS. That said, I appreciate immigration needs to be tight and difficult.

50pts sounds about right based on my findings. No degree level qualifications, my highest qualifications (albeit poor) are A2 level (UK) so nothing worth any points AFAIK. Might be worth a look but nothing I've seen suggests they would be much use to me points-wise

It's frustrating that my work experience doesn't count for more than it does really, given that I'm capable of doing the job to a high degree in the UK and it's on the LTSS. That said, I appreciate immigration needs to be tight and difficult.
    Did you work on your WHV?

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPizza View Post
    Did you work on your WHV?
    Yes, we did. I worked for a total of around 7 months between seasonal packing apples in Hastings (to this day the most stressful job I've ever done) and working as a temp for AMP in Wellington. Neither relevant to my career though it is work experience in NZ