Thread: Need Help with Visitor Visa for Parents!

Default Need Help with Visitor Visa for Parents!

Hi, I applied visitor visa for my parents last week and I asked for 6 months but they only granted the visa for 2 months.

Here is a bit of back story, my parents came to NZ last year and were here for 6 months (from May to Oct). Left in the end of October, and they will coming back again in the end of March 2020. I think the reason why they did not get visa of another 6 months is because they already have spent 6 months here last year and according to visitor visa rules, they can stay for max 9 months in 18 months. But I am wondering why they did not grant them 3 months visa instead of 2 months then as they still have allowance of 3 months to reach to 9 months limit?

I have a little baby (just over 1 year), and they are coming here to look after her (Myself and husband work full time). Is there any other option I can use to extend their stay here in NZ?

I have thought about parent/grand parent visa but my father has had heart condition and had a surgery two years ago where doctors implant pace-maker in his body. He is really fit and healthy now, and has no problem at all, but still has to take regular medication. Do you think he can clear the medical in this condition and get parent/grand parent visa?

Thanks in advance. Any suggestion would be helpful.

my father has had heart condition and had a surgery two years ago where doctors implant pace-maker in his body. He is really fit and healthy now, and has no problem at all, but still has to take regular medication. Do you think he can clear the medical in this condition and get parent/grand parent visa?
    With that back-story, your father's medical would be referred to the Medical Assessors. If your father's doctor/consultant will report that the pacemaker and medication are controlling what used to be the problem, it's likely that he could pass as having ASH (acceptable standard of health). The medical requirements for the parent/grandparent visa are the same as for residence. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46506.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    With that back-story, your father's medical would be referred to the Medical Assessors. If your father's doctor/consult will report that the pacemaker and medication are controlling what used to be the problem, it's likely that he could pass as having ASH (acceptable standard of health). The medical requirements for the parent/grandparent visa are the same as for residence. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/#46506.htm

Thanks JandM. Do you think we can apply for parent/grandparent visa while they are here in New Zealand? What is the processing time?

Quote Originally Posted by yass06 View Post
    Thanks JandM. Do you think we can apply for parent/grandparent visa while they are here in New Zealand? What is the processing time?
    The Parent and Grantparent Visitor Visa is one of the few visas that can only be applied for while offshore. See V3.110(b).

INZ is currently completing 90% of applications within 4 months, according to their office and fees finder.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    The Parent and Grantparent Visitor Visa is one of the few visas that can only be applied for while offshore. See V3.110(b).

INZ is currently completing 90% of applications within 4 months, according to their office and fees finder.
    Thanks you for your help. Much appreciated

even with 3 years visa , parent can stay only 18 months in 3 years

6 months visitor visas can be applied thrice in 3 years and parent can stay same duration as in 3 years visa and just Xray tests

so not sure how 3 years visa is better?
    Last edited by nzresident; 21st January 2020 at 10:51 PM.

It might be more convenient for the present applicant, as the parents/grandparents can choose to use the 18 months almost all at once (with brief visits out of the country each six months), which would mean they could be there during their grandchild's very youngest years.

However, BEWARE. Childcare and other household help, even for a family member, even without pay, is seen as WORK by INZ, which is not allowed on any kind of visitor's visa, and mention of this can lead to the visa being cancelled, and problems for any future visa application. So nobody should plead their case for extra visa time by saying, 'Oh, but my Dad is half-way through fixing the deck,' or, 'My Mum fetches the children from kindy while I'm working.' https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...801#post515801