Thread: Duration of Post Study Work Visa

Default Duration of Post Study Work Visa

HI I have confusion about duration of post study work visa. INZ says the following:

"If you have a Level 7 Bachelor's degree or higher, you can apply for a Post-study work visa for 3 years.

If you have a Level 7 Graduate Diploma, you can apply for a Post-study work visa for 1 year. You can apply to work for 1 more year if you are working towards occupational registration with a registration body included in a list of acceptable registration authorities. For example, teachers need 2 years' work experience before they can get a full practising certificate.

If you have another Level 7 qualification, you can apply for a Post-study work visa for 1 year."

If someone complete a postgraduate diploma Level 8 or Masters Level 9. Does he get 3 years visa or only 1 year visa??? statement above says Level 7 Bachelor's degree or higher (does it mean only Bachelor's degree at Level 7 or8??) or does it mean any qualification above level 7 (like PgDIP Level 8, or Masters Level 9??)

Regards,

This is more clearly defined in the operational manual, see WD3.1.5.

A level 7 Bachelor's Degree or any level 8-10 qualification may result in the grant of a 3 year Work Visa, if the qualification has been studied full-time for at least 30 weeks in New Zealand.

I think this area is a bit grey because I have some friends who studied 1 year level 7 diploma and they got 3 years post-study open work visa like if they studied a bachelor degree.
    This surprise me a lot because I thought they could have only 1 year post-study open work visa.

Luck of the draw, really. Some COs make mistakes too. =) I've seen at least 2 cases of my friends in 2015, open work visas granted to partners even if their student-partner were only studying a level 7 diploma (should be at least level 8, or level 7 bachelors then).