Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Status of newborn baby to parents holding resident visa

The below is important while use online tool

If you are checking for your child, answer the questions as if you were your child

For those of you posting links to the citizenship checker, the point of contention is on this page.

The citizenship by birth section was amended on 27 November 2019 to read this (I've bolded the contentious bit for emphasis):

If you were born in New Zealand on or after 1 January 2006

You are only a citizen if, when you were born, at least 1 of your parents was:

• a New Zealand citizen, or
    • had permanent residence status.

If your parent had a Resident Visa, they were not a permanent resident. To be a permanent resident, you need a Permanent Resident Visa.

The section which I emphasized above conflicts with the citizenship checker and with StaciP's experiences from earlier in November 2019. It also appears to conflict with Section 6 of the Citizenship Act as well (per my earlier posts in this thread, and an old thread from ChrisMwn that JandM linked). Hence the current ambiguity, confusion and questioning around this.

As such, I believe there is a need to clear up this question, and I'll send off an email to the Citizenship Office shortly requesting clarification. I'll update you all with their answer.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 31st January 2020 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelerei View Post
    For those of you posting links to the citizenship checker, the point of contention is on this page.

The citizenship by birth section was amended on 27 November 2019 to read this (I've bolded the contentious bit for emphasis):

If you were born in New Zealand on or after 1 January 2006

You are only a citizen if, when you were born, at least 1 of your parents was:

• a New Zealand citizen, or
    • had permanent residence status.

If your parent had a Resident Visa, they were not a permanent resident. To be a permanent resident, you need a Permanent Resident Visa.

The section which I emphasized above conflicts with the citizenship checker and with StaciP's experiences from earlier in November 2019. It also appears to conflict with Section 6 of the Citizenship Act as well (per my earlier posts in this thread, and an old thread from ChrisMwn that JandM linked). Hence the current ambiguity, confusion and questioning around this.

As such, I believe there is a need to clear up this question, and I'll send off an email to the Citizenship Office shortly requesting clarification. I'll update you all with their answer.

I just made a call to Citizenship Office,they confirm if one of the parent holding resident visa the child will be a citizen by birth

Quote Originally Posted by STV View Post
    I just made a call to Citizenship Office,they confirm if one of the parent holding resident visa the child will be a citizen by birth
    That answer, though, still conflicts with the paragraph linked above (on the Citizenship Office's own website) stating that a Permanent Resident Visa is now required. Hence, I don't think any of us can treat that as a definitive answer at this stage: I feel that a more thorough answer and explanation is in order.

I made sure to bring this conflicting information to the Citizenship Office's attention in my written request -- hopefully, I'll get a more thorough explanation from them this way. Should get an answer by the middle of next week.

That answer, though, still conflicts with the paragraph linked above (on the Citizenship Office's own website) stating that a Permanent Resident Visa is now required. Hence, I don't think any of us can treat that as a definitive answer at this stage: I feel that a more thorough answer and explanation is in order.

I made sure to bring this conflicting information to the Citizenship Office's attention in my written request -- hopefully, I'll get a more thorough explanation from them this way. Should get an answer by the middle of next week.
    Thanks Kelerei for your effort.we still need to clear the conflict on the statement of Citizenship Office website

also please note My neighbor (both are resident not a Permanent Resident) had a new born boy from Jan 1st 2020 . He received NZ birth certificate and NZ passport .

Citizen ship office updated their web page today and removed that statement

Good! I hope someone gets their knuckles rapped for posting that totally wrong statement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12