Thread: Partnership-based Work Visa and Residency

Question Partnership-based Work Visa and Residency

Hello everyone,

I hope you could help with my confusion.

Recently, I have been consulted by a licensed immi advisor in AKL. According to what I have read on this forum, heaps of people have applied for 2 visas (Partnership-based work visa and residency visa) at the same time to cut down the waiting time. However, the Immi advisor said that I should not apply for 2 visas at the same time. She said if I went ahead and let them help with my applications, they would apply for the Partnership work visa first, after I get granted that visa, they will start applying for my residency. The reason is, according to them, immigration doesnt have any datas of me and my Kiwi partner, thats why i should apply for a work visa first then residency application is going to be easier and the process is shorter.

My only concern is it'll take around 6 months for the work visa one, then 12 months for residency. while applying for both visas at the same time can reduce the waiting time.

Please help me and let me know what you think about this.

many thanks

For a residence class visa application, INZ can (and should!) take into account any relevant information held about previous applications (see R5.20.1(b)), so the idea definitely has merit.

I am in no position to tell you which option will ultimately be better.

EDIT: Something that you may wish to bear in mind is that most people on this forum who submit both applications simultaneously already hold a partnership-based Work Visa, and choose to submit a further partnership-based Work Visa application along with their Resident Visa application because they anticipate that their current Work Visa will expire before a decision is made on their Resident Visa application.
    Last edited by Kelerei; 27th January 2020 at 02:01 PM.