Thread: Can we vote?

Default Can we vote?

Hi everyone!
    if this post doesn't belong to the immigration category, pls, feel free to move it or delete it.
    My partner and I received our residency on the 27th July 2018 through the Skilled Migrant. We will be able to apply for the PR in July 2020.
    Can we enrol to vote? we have lived in New Zealand since 2017.

The government website states:

Permanent resident

For electoral purposes, you are a permanent resident if you’re in New Zealand legally and not required to leave within a specific time.
    You’re eligible to enrol and vote if you’re a permanent resident and have lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more.
    If you have to leave New Zealand by a set date, you are not a permanent resident and not eligible to enrol to vote. This includes people who have student, work, or visitor permits.
    If you are Australian, Niuean, Tokelauan or a Cook Islander, you can enrol after you have lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more.
    Last edited by pianista; 28th January 2020 at 10:03 PM.

Yes you are eligible to entol to vote and you are required by law to enrol after one year of living with a residence visa.

Quote Originally Posted by everest View Post
    Yes you are eligible to entol to vote and you are required by law to enrol after one year of living with a residence visa.
    Doesn't necessarily mean living with a Resident Visa for 12 months or more; the requirement is to live in New Zealand for 12 months or more, and hold a residence-class visa.

I successfully enrolled after living in New Zealand for 12 months, although I only had my Resident Visa for 3.5 months at the time. Was open and honest about this when I submitted the enrolment form; even going as far as asking INZ beforehand to provide a letter with my visa status and travel movements (though their disclosure of information process) and enclosing this with the enrolment form, together with a certified copy of my passport and Resident Visa. Enrolment went through without any issue.

Yes, I just did.

If your living in NZ for 2 years, then YES you can vote cause i think its only 12 months is the requirements.

Why send in the extra paperwork? I was in a similar situation and I just enrolled with the form.

I receive applications from people at my work and we ask for two pieces of paperwork from a list of options. Some people send 6 different files and tbh it’s just really annoying.

I enrolled to vote right after my residency, I just sent the form back in the post.